• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another .32 Crockett Thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.32 Maxi Ball, all are not the same. If you look up the .32 Maxi the first to come up is a Lee mold sold through Track of the Wolf and they list the weight as 125 grain, I found other references as to weight, length and diameter all over the map.
Thanks to forum member Quinn The Eskimo who sent me an original TC mold for conical testing, I got the mold today and started casting about an hour ago (shop is 98 deg), the following are the numbers.
Length = .597, Base = .320, Top ring = .325 and the weight is 100.4 to 100.8 across 30 that were weighed on an electronic digital powder/bullet scale (Dillon Precision).

Attachments

• IMG_3707[1].JPG
    IMG_3707[1].JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3708[1].JPG
    IMG_3708[1].JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 78
I have a correction on the above, the front of the conical maxi is .323.
I'll take a break now and let other people post other interests, feels like I'm monopolizing this part of the forum.

im going to admit to every one i use black horn 209 powder and i have a shotgun primer nipple on my side lock. good powder and very little clean up. very accurate powder.

I'm also looking at the 85 grain conical for use in the Colt .31 cal revolvers as they need at least a .320 projectile, should be back to testing Crockett / TC .32 next week.
85 grain looks to be a good performer, 95 grain with paper patch is very good but a pain to patch (small) using cigarette rolling papers cut into strips with the glue at one end, basically cut to the length/width needed roll around conical and stick, wipe with lube just before loading.
P.S. use jumbo/large papers.

P.P.S. if anyone has a .31 and wants to try the conical let me know (I don't have a .31) I'll send a few for testing.

Still shoots very soft, no recoil ( gun is 6 1/2 pounds), still in safe area with regard to pressure,
little more mass of conicals makes a big difference in FPE for sure.
Can't find it but somebody posted about pressure from subs being higher , owners manual states black powder or 3F Pdex is approved.

Honestly, I don't think there's any way to make a .32 "kick". They are all just kitty cats.

209 works just fine in my 32 crocket rifle. very clean. you have to have a shot gun primer nipple on it to make it work.

Back