• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Annoyed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just cleaned the nipple. It might have gotten plugged. Just seems odd that it was firing just fine last time I had it out. I take it off for major cleanings so I dont get gunk in it and leave it on every other time to flush it out.
Do have my ram rod marked. Says its right where it's supposed to be.
Powder is good,everything seems to check out.
I just don't think this rifle likes me. Never had this much trouble with the last 2 muzzle loaders I owned.
Still seriously thinking about just saving up and buying a nice one and putting this one on the wall.
So until i can get back out to shoot it in a couple days it's sitting in a corner.

First off, it is not the gun! Millions of Renegades out there work perfectly all the time.
Yours will too.
This is just something you missed. You will find it out and everything will be right.

M.D. said:
Dry ball? There's two types of muzzle loader shooters in this world, those who have and those who are going to sooner or later.Cheer up, this too will pass. :wink: MD

Wrong.
There are two types of ml'ers alright. But, they are those who admit dry balling and liars. :rotf:

my cva mountain stalker gave me fits of miss and hang fires. no matter how well it was cleaned, new nipples, powder or caps...it just wouldn't work. i blamed the patten breach and all most gave it away. then one day while showing how a patch worm worked, i pulled a patch from the gun. :doh: it was sitting on the breach. just enough to cause problems. gun works fine now. :haha:

walt cowan said:
my cva mountain stalker gave me fits of miss and hang fires. no matter how well it was cleaned, new nipples, powder or caps...it just wouldn't work. i blamed the patten breach and all most gave it away. then one day while showing how a patch worm worked, i pulled a patch from the gun. :doh: it was sitting on the breach. just enough to cause problems. gun works fine now. :haha:
:haha:
yeah that will do it...

I had some issues with my mountain stalker not properly fireing. I got some magnum caps and haven't had an issue since.

Jezzzzzzz... it sure sounds to me like you're either got a plugged up nipple or a glob of wet powder in the rifle.

I'd pull the ball or pop it out with a CO² unloader. clean out the wet powder really good, run a couple of dry patches in and out of it, then "pop" a couple of caps through it, reload it and start shooting.

It should fire once you've done the above and insured the nipple is not clogged up with gunk.

Make GOOD smoke... :thumbsup:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ok think I finally found the issues with my gun. Thought it was odd that shooting offhand I hit what I aimed at. Tried the rest on the bench with another gun and shots went all over as well. Had someone else shoot and realized the muzzle was jumping pretty bad. Found the non-firing issue. Nipple was completely plugged up. Blaming it on the pyrodex. Never had one plug up like that with the real stuff. Bright side is I am learning more about working on the gun than I ever thought I would.

Still think I want to save up and get a nice one next year and some real black powder.

I think the process of going through and solving these type of problems is what makes us a lot more educated about how our guns function and shoot. I use to have misfires many years ago but here for the last several years, by keeping a clean gun and using real black, misfires are nonexistant. I'm glad you figured it out.

Jeff

The guy who I bought my TC Hawken 45 from told me he was using CCI #11 (regular caps not mags) with Triple Seven. I tried it, and found they worked perfectly and no misfires. If a TC rifle is kept clean it will fire.

Back