• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

And the bartender asked, why the long......barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Morgan

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok. Punchline from an old joke, sorta. Anyways...

I'm a carbine kinda guy and being newish to muzzleloaders a bit ignorant on top of it. That said, what's with the crazy long rifle barrels? I mean, howinell is a settler supposed to sneak through the piney woods with a rifle sporting a barrel that has the front sight somewhere in the next county?
KnowhatImean? :dunno:

wm

Same way people snuck through the woods with a longbow or spear. They just did. It's not hard. Even in awful cut-over timbered-out land. Unless you're in the middle of a giant cane-brake or a huge briar patch, it's really no problem.

Ever went fly-fishing in a heavily willowed stream. The best can do it, but I would be tangled all of the time.:D Does that answer your question?

What more interesting is how long those long barrels stayed in use! 29 inch barreled rifles were common among the world's militaries until the 1930's.

I'm talking about 40"+ types. Is there a ballistic thing I'm missing or was it the "fashion"? Some of these guns it seems would run out of pressure before the ball cleared the muzzle.

wm

Charge for charge an inch of barrel over twenty four inches adds about ten feet per second to your velocity. Longer barrels can get more umph from bigger charges, but all and all not enough that Bambi or Bulwinkle would care.
We see the first guns rather short and well up until the seventeenth century barrels tended to be in less then thirty six inches.
the German hunting rifles were often thirty two or under, though some might be long.
About 1650-1700 the French Dutch and English began making barrels three and a half feet or more.
We are told they thought that it would mean higher power with the same or less powder, but ITHINK that was an explanation after the point.
I suspect with the advent of the bayonet it made sense to make a longer military gun, and civilian guns followed suit.
when German gun makes started to make rifles in America they made them in the style of German guns. Barrels around three feet.
However the buyers were English and Dutch and were already used to longer guns and so wanted a longer rifle. Soon three and a half up to four feet became common on rifles.
The longer sight radius make the easier to shoot well, but like velocity increases not so as you would notice.
By 1810-20 shorter guns started to become in style, in west Europe and America.
Boone and Kenton did well horse back with long guns, and in the southern Appalachian long barreled guns stayed in style past the First World War. I don’t THINK it has any thing to do with being more handy on a horse
If your new to the sport 42” might seem real long, but after you have had one and carried one 36” might start to look and feel like a carbine.
My first gun had a 32” and I thought it giant. Now those guns look like over grown pistols.

As time has past, certain firearms have been forever immortalized by film and literature becoming part of our culture as well as our heritage. James Fenimore Cooper's work "The Last of the Mohicans" and folk hero's like Davy Crockett and Daniel Boon have each done their part.

A "longrifle" from whatever school or style are as iconic as a Winchester '94 or M1 Garand with each of these capturing it's own place in history. Any firearm collection would be incomplete without these.

I squirrel and turkey hunt with a Fusil de Chasse with a 44" barrel. I like that longer barrel for aiming and it's no problem carrying outdoors. In the truck or house can be a bit challenging though.

I think he quality of gunpowder changed around 1800. hence increasing popularity of short barrel sporting arms., might maybe used to be a longer barrel was preferred to burn that older powder.
Took my 54" barrel English fowler rabbit hunting once in the thick woods of Sussex C. Delaware. By the time I could get it to my shoulder, Bugs was in the next state.
No such problems w my 30" caplock Moore.

Yep, for fast targets like birds or rabbits my Fusil would not work very well. That’s why I plan on getting a fowler someday.

Yup , and don't forget some of the primitive made post colonial black powder , not quite as powerful as the foreign import black powder. A longer barrel with slightly bigger powder charge made a usable combination.

I was taught that the poorer quality powder called for a longer barrel but I can't vouch for the quality of my teacher.

Just speculating but I think it had a lot to do with the aesthetics of the times. I think longer barrels look really great. Then there's the sight radius factor. As far as longer tubes giving increased velocity with each inch, it doesn't happen like that after 30" to 38". I've chronographed enough to see how NON-LINEAR velocity increases are. And I've seen extra length give lower speeds as it increases. So there's nothing carved in stone although all these considerations DO have an effect.

Another consideration as far as a military gun is the fighting style. If lined up in rows as the British conducted themselves , when leveling their muskets to fire the end of the barrel from the second row would be in the face of the front row.
A coworker does civil war re-enactments and the few with two band Enfields are always in the front row for this reason

Back