• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

And Another Kibler Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman Brooks

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Arrived on 9/3. Taking my time and waiting on the carving butt stock from Kibler for practice. Have to finish making the toe plate and inlet and inlet star.
1632994681569.jpeg

1632994729905.jpeg

1632994756620.jpeg

1632994797117.jpeg

Looks like I'm going to have to clean the bench off.

Great job on the shinny brass and you have a beautiful piece of wood. I thought I had a really bad work bench but you put me to shame, Ha! Great job and I am also waiting on a piece of scrap wood from Kimber to practice my inlay. They forgot to add it to my kit.

Wow! nice inlay job. I just attempted my first inlay and now I have to fix my many mistakes, HA. Your doing a great job so keep it up ........Labrat

I like the molding you did, nice and straight. Thats going to look real good. I'm having trouble carving straight lines even when it's drawn out, Ha. Keep up the good work......Labrat

I followed dave-person on his Kibler build and how to scribe a straight line. Even with a straight edge I couldn't draw a straight line. I really like your engraving on your build... Thanks.

Sharpen the head of a flat top screw and screw it into a dowel about 6" long. Align the slot end with your desired cut and slide t he dowel up the ramrod channel. The corner of the slot will cut a nice straight line. Don't start the cut until you line up where you want it. I used about a .5" or 5/8" dowel for 3/8" ramrod channel. That lets the screw head reach over the edge of the channel at a better angle.

Thank you. I also followed Dave 's build thread and actually got most of my build knowledge from him. He as an enormous about of information and the nice thing is he is willing to share it with everyone. ..........Labrat

Sharpen the head of a flat top screw and screw it into a dowel about 6" long. Align the slot end with your desired cut and slide t he dowel up the ramrod channel. The corner of the slot will cut a nice straight line. Don't start the cut until you line up where you want it. I used about a .5" or 5/8" dowel for 3/8" ramrod channel. That lets the screw head reach over the edge of the channel at a better angle.
Yes, I have one that uses a screw head sharpened only mine is a flat piece of maple, and I can adjust the screw in and out for locations...

Got a couple hours work in on transitioning around the entry pipe. One side almost done. I found when I take closeup pictures I can see what I have missed.
1633809045719.jpeg

Take lots of pictures before moving on!! It will help you find the flaws !!;-)

Hi Norman,
Looking great. With that big lock, my preference is for larger beaver tails. Little ones get lost in that big wrist.

dave

I see what you mean Dave. Mine are going to be a little smaller. Got the lock side roughed out. Only work on it a couple hours a day if I can. Between the arthritis, carpal tunnel and needing knee replacements I take it slow... I have learned a lot from your Kibler build and I go back though a lot... Thanks!!!

Looking good Norman and wonderful wood work. Wow sounds like we have the same problems but with patience & determination we'll make it. God willing & the creek don't rise,Ha........Labrat

Back