• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ancient New Bee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally retired. Finally dragged my 50 plus year old T/C Hawken out and proceeded to prep it for use again. Much has changed since I last used this gun. Stumbled across this forum in my search for supplies. Looks pretty active so I'll give it a whirl.

Now I think I may need a new barrel for the Hawken. Bore scope shows rust in the breech but just how bad is yet to be determined. But normal cleaning routine doesn't seem to be doing much. Might just go with "better safe than sorry!"

Welcome!

AH fear not!

Also in the past 50 years, things have improved for us using that old tech.

You can get a really good tiny endoscopic camera for use on a cell phone for a very reasonable price, and drop that down to see how bad the breech may be.

You can use a non-toxic rust removal solution (just be careful about the outer barrel surfaces) that works slowly over many hours, to be sure all rust is gone from within the barrel.

Then you can rinse and test fire. Some fellows have been able to continue to use rifles with pitted areas at the breech, by a thorough cleaning and then using a spacing substance between the powder and the patched ball, to prevent the patch from encountering the pits and being damaged, and no worries.

IF the damage is too far from the breech for the previous to work, WELL, you can inexpensively have the barrel reamed to a larger, popular caliber, and still have a good 50 yard deer gun, AND it will now work on small game with shot, OR spend a little more and have it re-rifled.

LD

Thanks all! I do intend to clean as best I can and see what I have. And I do have a bore scope I use with my modern guns. The breech isn't solid 'red' but there's a lot in there so I have some hope. I didn't mention before but the gun is a .54 cal.

I had pickled the gun in the late 70's while life got in the way of play. Some 10-12 years ago I cleaned it up just in time for my health to go sour. Now I can get back to it but the last 10 years or so haven't been overly kind to it. Outside I'd give the barrel a solid 9. But inside................?

Welcome to the forum. Try the method in the link to clean up the barrel. I get the stainless steel pads from Menards, however they can be purchased at most hardware and grocery stores.

Should be cleaned outside of the house as it can be quite messy with just a moderately rusty barrel.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10705

Finally retired. Finally dragged my 50 plus year old T/C Hawken out and proceeded to prep it for use again. Much has changed since I last used this gun. Stumbled across this forum in my search for supplies. Looks pretty active so I'll give it a whirl.

Now I think I may need a new barrel for the Hawken. Bore scope shows rust in the breech but just how bad is yet to be determined. But normal cleaning routine doesn't seem to be doing much. Might just go with "better safe than sorry!"
Welcome to the forum. Good luck in finding a replacement barrel for your T/C Hawken. They are hard to find.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck in finding a replacement barrel for your T/C Hawken. They are hard to find.
I have a line on having one made. Price isn't bad, only double what I paid for the gun initially but still less than the thing could be worth today. Only problem is it's a year lead time. But if that's what I have to do.........

But in the meantime maybe refinish the stock. It has some hanger rash but nothing some sand paper can't fix. And maybe stain it a darker color. Lots of threads here about that sort of thing.

What part of VA? I lived in NOVA for some 30 years. Last tour in the AF was in DC after which I took my security clearance and experience and sold it to the highest corporate bidder. I'm home in southern Michigan now.
Southwest VA near Bristol. I also lived in Northern VA for a few years in Crystle City, but returned to the mountains when I retired.

Back