• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ancient 777

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found some 777 that's been in a box for years and years and years.
Anybody know how soon does the stuff break down chemically?

I have some that is over 10 years old and opened, works just fine. Wait until tomorrow and I'll check the date on the can. But it has been opened for at least ten years.

If it looks and smells ok, give it a try. At worse case it is just a little week. Was it sealed? I didn't know 777 been around long enough to be ancient.

Last edited:
Well, years back, people in the Yahoo BP group decided because this seems to be an issue they’d drop a desiccant pack once opened. Made sense to me. Mine did just fine after no less than 6 years opened. Damn sure can’t hurt... However that’s why I like Olde E and use it mostly.

I have some that is over 10 years old and opened, works just fine. Wait until tomorrow and I'll check the date on the can. But it has been opened for at least ten years.

Sorry I forgot about this thread. I checked the date on the can, it is 09/01 so that makes it the first year that it was released, which I guess is why it is in a different type of can than Pyrodex and it says "patent pending" on the can.
It goes boom just fine.

Latest posts

Back