Ancient 777

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

nkbj

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Found some 777 that's been in a box for years and years and years.
Anybody know how soon does the stuff break down chemically?

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some that is over 10 years old and opened, works just fine. Wait until tomorrow and I'll check the date on the can. But it has been opened for at least ten years.

mooman76

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If it looks and smells ok, give it a try. At worse case it is just a little week. Was it sealed? I didn't know 777 been around long enough to be ancient.

Last edited:

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, years back, people in the Yahoo BP group decided because this seems to be an issue they’d drop a desiccant pack once opened. Made sense to me. Mine did just fine after no less than 6 years opened. Damn sure can’t hurt... However that’s why I like Olde E and use it mostly.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I have some that is over 10 years old and opened, works just fine. Wait until tomorrow and I'll check the date on the can. But it has been opened for at least ten years.
Sorry I forgot about this thread. I checked the date on the can, it is 09/01 so that makes it the first year that it was released, which I guess is why it is in a different type of can than Pyrodex and it says "patent pending" on the can.
It goes boom just fine.

Latest posts