• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

An unfair comparison between Kibler Colonial and trade guns??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog1911

40 Cal
Reaction score
So help me, I'm going to go crazy trying to select a smoothbore. Here's what I'm considering. For the purpose of this discussion, I'm listing kits. But a complete rifle isn't out of the equation.

I love the look of a Fusil. That will be a much more involved kit build, and I'm still a real novice. The one I think I'm most attracted to is the Clay Smith kit.

NW Trade Gun. A number of options. One that is attractive, from a skill level perspective, is the Pedersoli NW kit.

Kibler Colonial. A no brainer build, and quality parts.

For the moment, let's disregard caliber. Weight is one consideration. It seems the Kibler would be the heaviest. But how much will that affect the "pointability"?

So much to consider!

If you take your time you should be ok. You don’t have to be so adventurous on your first attempt. It got me into trouble my first one when I was younger

My kibler is lighter than my .32 pedersoli Kentucky. That's the.58 smoothbore I couldn't tell you the difference In Weight between the calibers but it is not a particularly heavy gun.

Just one man's opinion. Buy a kit you will like, and you will shoot that you can learn on. Something far less expensive than a one thousand dollar or more kit. If you are true novice, then you need to boost your tinkering skills.

Traditions makes fine kits. And in my humble opinion are more difficult to build/complete than a Kibler kit (Not knocking Kibler). A Tradition's kit will teach you much. Metalworking. Woodworking. Metal finishing. Wood finishing. The little dance that takes place between metal to wood fit. Etc.

Drop 400 on a Kentucky kit, hone your novice skills, then step into the big leagues.

Last edited:
After recently shooting a Clay Smith gun, I would say they are over all good. The only thing I did not like was the trigger guard was a lighter gauge brass than I consider proper. You can make those yourself from a heavier gauge easily, or try a different source for that particular part.

I'm not a complete rookie, but I do appreciate 64Springer's thoughts. I've finished a number of stocks, and have done a little inletting.

I wish handling the various types was as easy to do as smokeless guns. It would make decisions much easier.

I'm not a complete rookie, but I do appreciate 64Springer's thoughts. I've finished a number of stocks, and have done a little inletting.

I wish handling the various types was as easy to do as smokeless guns. It would make decisions much easier.
You are correct, Sir. Being able to shoulder a gun goes a long way towards dropping some serious coin on buying it.

Dropping more than a grand on a rifle that may or may not shoulder and fit properly is a risk I'll never take.

So help me, I'm going to go crazy trying to select a smoothbore. Here's what I'm considering. For the purpose of this discussion, I'm listing kits. But a complete rifle isn't out of the equation.

I love the look of a Fusil. That will be a much more involved kit build, and I'm still a real novice. The one I think I'm most attracted to is the Clay Smith kit.

NW Trade Gun. A number of options. One that is attractive, from a skill level perspective, is the Pedersoli NW kit.

Kibler Colonial. A no brainer build, and quality parts.

For the moment, let's disregard caliber. Weight is one consideration. It seems the Kibler would be the heaviest. But how much will that affect the "pointability"?

So much to consider!
So, looking at your list of choices, I don't feel you are comparing apples to apples.
Two options would fall into the fouling piece or trade gun categories, while the Kibler Colonial would be a smoothrifle.

I would choose a category 1st based on your intended use of the gun.

If any wingshooting is involved, I'd not opt for the Colonial as my 1st choice. It can be done, I've done it, but a Fusil des Chase or fowling piece (I don't have a NW trade gun but it seems closer to a fouling gun than it does a rifle) would be better.

If mostly shooting round ball for deer and/or targets and shot for game such as squirrels, turkeys, or other small game where the shooting style is more like shooting a rifle, then the Colonial is a great choice, though the other two could be used as well.

NW trade guns are excellent kits for the first time kit builder.....if you're looking for a fowling gun. Make sure the barrel is fully inlet and you shouldn't have any trouble.
If you're looking to shoot turkeys with shot and/or deer with round ball the the kibler would be ideal in .58 smooth.
Fusil de chasse are often cheek busters.

The Kibler Colonial rifle is a bit heavy for most folks. Might also want to look at a Tvlle (Tulle) Fusil de Chasse. .

The only time I've really found my Fusil des Chase to be a "cheek buster," was in a sitting position with a heavy powder and shot load that I thought I needed for turkeys when I 1st got it. It being my 1st flintlock and 1st smoothbore.
It is handier, handles better and faster, and is lighter than my smoothrifle, the weight difference does equal more felt recoil. Where one feels that recoil will largely be determined by one's physical characteristics. One's weight, size, shape of face, length of neck, can all be factors in whether or not one gets a solid push to the shoulder or the infamous cheek slap.

The fusil on the left is the Clay Smith "Type D" trade gun that I built earlier this year. I loved it. Very light and lightning fast (lock, stock and barrel from Larry Zornes).
The Fusil de Chasse from Pecatonica is possibly my favorite now.

Attachments

• F 24.jpg
    F 24.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Fusil 1.jpg
    Fusil 1.jpg
    901.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is the Clay Smith "Type D" trade gun that I built earlier this year. I loved it. Very light and lightning fast (lock, stock and barrel from Larry Zornes).
The Fusil de Chasse from Pecatonica is possibly my favorite now.

I notice you say "loved" with regards to the Type D. Did you let it go?

Boy, this thread is right up my alley as I am pondering the same thing: which smoothbore? The Kibler would be my first choice for ease of completing, but I want 20-gauge/62 and more of a dedicated fowler than a smooth rifle. I was also looking at the TVM Tulle and the Chambers Pennsylvania and English fowlers (like the New England fowler's stock architecture best, but it only comes in 10, 11 and 12 gauge). Hadn't thought of Pecatonica or Clay Smith. Smith's French Tulle has great stock lines, but I am not sure about the lock pictured and not sure where RE Davis locks rank on the list of speed, reliability and historical accuracy.

Back