• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Outstanding Flint Knapping Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
FYI...here's a simple, fast, very effective alternative flint knapping tool...both 3/8" x 6" and 5/16" x 6" sizes work well...I prefer the heavier 3/8" for it's extra weight because the act is more one of letting the end "drop" on the flint than it is "hitting" the flint.
BrassHexRodsforFlintKnapping.jpg

I have used those as well and they work great. Now take one end of it and file about 1/32 or a little more all the way around to create a step. It will give you a square edge, to nibble the flint just a little, by just pushing that edge against the flint at a 90º angle. You can get MANY more shots from a flint with this tool! :grin:

I understand...but when my motor's runnin' I want to just grab something..."peck, peck, peck"...and shoot
:grin:

For long flint life nothing beats a good diamond file. The file will provide many more shots and avoid having to move the flint forward as often. No I am not a Buck Skinner, I am in that other camp. A shooter. :thumbsup:

Has anyone had any luck with the type that have a hotch that hooks on the flint then is pryed to break of a piece, I have not found them to work well a tapping or pressur method from one diretcion seems to work better.BTW thos pictured look pretty good.

trent/OH said:
Looks like a brass or bronze bar of some type, but......whatizit???
Just pieces of brass hex rod material that I've tried...5/16" x 6" (in the photo) or 3/8" x 6"

this diamond file u speak of how do u use this, in this manner.
Interesting altho i do like the simplistic idea of just a rod, but perhaps if it were a handle or somthing of the like to maximize space and utility, perhaps a short starter. seems allrigh for a .50 cal in this roal.

My father-in -law is a knapper. He makes primitive arrowheads and knives, scrapers, ect. and he uses a piece of 1/2" copper water pipe about 6" long with a cap soldered on one end and then filled with lead. He uses it for the bigger rough knapping and then uses a heavy solid copper wire inside a handle for the fine flaking. I think that the brass is a great idea for gun flints! It will do it all with one tool and easy to obtain.Smart thinking, my friend. :thumbsup:

The tools you referred to for flintknapping are used for two different techniques. The copper bopper is used for percussion flaking (you hit a prepared edge with it), the copper point is used for pressure flaking (You push in and down with it).

Using the brass hex rod as roundball says is percussion flaking on a small scale, and using the step as mentioned by TG and as used by Stumpkiller is a pressure flaking method. I'll sometimes use an antler tine to pressure flake a flint, but it's difficult to do in the lock.

For a flint in the lock I used to use the edge of a musket tool. Now I just hammer the flint, which is a method I learned from the forum. Not sure if it was Stumpkiller or Paulvallandigham who described it.

To hammer the flint, open your frizzen (known in the old days as the "hammer") slightly and lower the cock so it just hits the bottom edge of the frizzen. You'll have to play with the frizzen opening a bit to find this spot. When you find it, hold the frizzen in place with your thumb, pull the cock back to full cock and squeeze the trigger. The flint will hit this bottom edge and take just the right amount off all the way across. It works really well.

Twisted_1in66 :hatsoff:

Here's what I make and use for my rifle. I use antler billets for the arrow head and knife making business...
Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado
brasshammers.jpg

The only real knapping that I am quite familiar with involves a pillow and a nice quiet spot.And it is spelled differently.But I realize both flint workings are different.

Back