• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

An other Woodsrunner post

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duca

36 Cal.
Reaction score
7F46B078-605F-47E3-92E5-69D3460AD540.jpeg
E3BD63BA-B80D-41BF-9686-D95E87BCF01E.jpeg
AAAD8BFC-9935-47B4-8C2C-25CA086E1A51.jpeg
87AE2D55-0742-4C50-940D-2FD1DED13FDC.jpeg

More pictures to follow. All about finishing now. First coat of a boiled linseed oil and pine tar concoction

Docgp.. just a boiled linseed oil and pine tar mixture 50/50.

This is plain Maple. It’s Dark but I like it. This is the second coat of oil. First one is the 50-50 mix of boiled linseed oil and pine tar. Second coat was tried and true with a little bit of turpentine. I think a couple of more coats of the tried-and-true and I’ll put it all together.

So I notice on here and also on the Kibler build videos the wood under the barrel lock buttplate all places that get covered there is no finish on the wood. Is this what you do or do you finish it for protecting from moisture with something else. I plan on building a rifle soon and in gathering all the info I can this is something I see everywhere. And help clarifying would be appreciated. Thanks Reds

So I notice on here and also on the Kibler build videos the wood under the barrel lock buttplate all places that get covered there is no finish on the wood. Is this what you do or do you finish it for protecting from moisture with something else. I plan on building a rifle soon and in gathering all the info I can this is something I see everywhere. And help clarifying would be appreciated. Thanks Reds
Personally, I stain and seal all the wood. Although occasionally I'll just seal the unseen wood with whatever finish I'm using. Lots of humidity most of the time where I am, so that's my reason. If I lived in a dryer climate it wouldn't be necessary. Originals, for the most part, left the wood bare.

Been busy with the NY AUTO SHOW set-up.. has been hanging in the basement Drying. Trying to get it outside to Sun! Have two heavy coats of finish and one light one. All metal treatment is complete..Hopefully by the end of the week I will put it all together!

Thanks men! I live in SWFL right where Ian hit and even pressure treated has issues outside after awhile. All my other unmentionables and smoke poles are all treated but I noticed this trait researching building a flintlock and did not understand the concept. I will be treating as you guys did when time comes. Again thanks for the info!

I too used BC super blue.. it works amazing! To me, it seemed that this step was the most time consuming, I took the whole lock apart and sanded all the small lines from machining off the outside of the lock before applying the bluing.. then scuffed it all back.

View attachment 209884View attachment 209885
More pictures to follow. All about finishing now. First coat of a boiled linseed oil and pine tar concoction
Please don't take my post offensively, but for the sake of that beautiful rifle take the time to clean up the casings. It is your gun and I am not telling you what to do, but the entry pipe and trigger guard are no way indicitive of the rifle you have. The tigger guard looks lilke it just came out of the mold.
WTG on the stock!!
Larry

Last edited:
Back