• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An English Revolver Case

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44-henry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I made this case as a birthday present for my father when I was in high school and it was about the same time I made the dragoon case on another thread. Again, there are some things that I know now are not correct, but I remember having fun building it. It was made for a Colt 1873 with a 4 3/4" barrel (hopefully it is alright to show the case minus the revolver on this forum).

I patterned it after one I had seen in one of R.L. Wilson's books. The case was the first one I built that had the secondary hook catches and dovetailed sides. One feature I tried to copy was the use of narrower side pieces than either the front or back which was a detail often used on the English cases. I am still to this day unhappy with the match between the two boards I used for the lid, but at the time I didn't have any other wood and I was too impatient to wait until I had more (unfortunately that is a bad habit that I still struggle with today). In any event my dad seemed to like it and still has it.

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

case3.jpg

case5.jpg

case6.jpg

Nice looking case what is the inside (where the gun & boolits are held) made out of?

The interior is made with soft pine and than coated using DonJer flocking. I used this system for some time before I started messing with using actual wool baize. The DonJer flocking is two parts, it starts with a colored glue that is painted on the surface and than a matching flocking is sprayed on the surface using what looks like a big insecticide gun. The flocking itself is very tiny squares of fabric material and when it is done right it actually looks pretty good and is quite durable. A revolver has been in this case for the last 20+ years and the lining did rub thin in a few places where there was direct contact, though most of what you see in the photograph is just lint that has clung to the surface, it would look better after being brushed/vacuumed out.

Back