• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An English Newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was actually a thought that popped into my head yesterday and I was going to ask about. Means I don’t need to wait for a variation either which is great. What about smoothbore pistols?
No chance. Any BP firearm with a barrel LESS than 24" long is Section 1 and requires an FAC.

It takes quite a lot of negotiation to be allowed more that one .577. One friend, who has satisfied them that he is a historical collector, has a three band and a two-band in .577.

Why does he need to 'satisfy' anyone? If they are antiques can't he just have as many as he likes?

Original Guns-Rifled or not, CAN be held without FAC.until YOU SHOOT 'EM!! --THEN FAC required.. Reprose are a Different Matter. Rifled arms and those with a tube less than 24" are considered Firearms and long smooth bores go on Shot Gun Certificate says the Home Office BUT some Forces hold different opinions. If You Have Problems consult the Firearms Dept. of BASC..

Welcome from North Of The Border...

We get a few of you lot coming up here on occasions. We hold an annual Historical Comp in Edinburgh about now that has matches for Muzzle loaders, but as it is at 200m smoothbores would struggle!

I believe the main reason for the shortage of inliners in the UK is that they cannot be used legally for hunting deer. In the US the deer season is extended for folk using muzzleloaders I believe, and this has prompted a demand for inliners from folk who don't know better. There are no target comps in UK for inliners to the best of my knowledge!

Best of luck with a Westlake.. you might get it to work.. many have tried!

Why does he need to 'satisfy' anyone? If they are antiques can't he just have as many as he likes?

Yes, he can - ALL genuine P53 rifles OR muskets/rifled muskets are antiques, and you can own as many as you afford to buy. Modern replicas, however, are classed as Section 1 firearms, and you have to have a Firearms Certificate [FAC] in order to acquire and possess it/them. Each modern replica is a separate entry on your FAC.

Having multiples of one calibre, while raising a few eyebrows in certain quarters, is not a problem in the county where I live. I have five duplicate calibre centre-fire rifles and seven .22s, plus, of course, a decent number of singlies. Pal Tim collects the rifles made famous in the movie 'Zulu' - you know the one I mean - and has around 12 or 14 of 'em. He shoots just one of them at any time, as he has just one entered on his FAC and they are devoid of any serial number.

Those of us who have firearms like this are in an odd position within the law, as it currently stands. The one that you shoot has to be locked away, like a naughty child, while the rest can decorate the walls of your gun-room, if you are lucky enough to possess such a thing. It's like that with my Canadian S*i*e*s....

The law really IS an ass.

Original Guns-Rifled or not, CAN be held without FAC.until YOU SHOOT 'EM!! --THEN FAC required.. Reprose are a Different Matter. Rifled arms and those with a tube less than 24" are considered Firearms and long smooth bores go on Shot Gun Certificate says the Home Office BUT some Forces hold different opinions. If You Have Problems consult the Firearms Dept. of BASC..

Just a minor correction, old flún - if you own a real antique muzzleloading firearm, and want to shoot it, you'd better be certain what it actually is BEFORE you try it out.

IF it is a smoothbore, then you MUST have a Section 2 [Shotgun] certificate - this also covers you for shooting a single projectile, like a ball. Friend Britsmoothy here is a very busy smoothbore shooter, as his name implies.

You do NOT need to belong to a gun club to have a Section 2 [Shotgun] Certificate, but it is very strongly advised by the PTB.

However, it is RIFLED, then it's a whole new ballgame. Let's say that it's a genuine, antique P53 Enfield rifle. You must have permission in the form of the FAC BEFORE you intend to shoot it, and it is 'registered' on your FAC as ONE .58cal rifle, with its serial number. If it has NO serial number, then you must note NSN in the appropriate column.

To get an FAC to shoot it means that you have to be member of a gun club, have served the usually six-month probie time, and having been made a full member, applied for your FAC. Right now that can easily take another six months.....

The only reason for acquiring a rifle here in UK is for target shooting of some kind. Given the way that the game laws are currently detailed, there is no muzzleloading firearm that can comply with the M/E or M/V required by law. In Scotland, both elements must match or exceed the requisite standards.

Thanks Tom for your Heads-up. I thought I had covered all that in brief, but my FAC covering M/L and the others goes back to 1975- and is marked ALQ. Prior to that HM allowed me to carry a No.4 while in REME 56/04 or as a Res.. Never been told I am No Longer A Res.. Tom--No offence ment as we are both members of the same Fellowship..though my trips to ranges and Scotland are age restricted these days.Wish I was still as active as the late member who had his 90th on the 1200yd FP at Bisley.. OLD DOG.. 03/34..

Back