• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

An Egg, a piece of bread and a paper bag.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There was an old Order of the Arrow ritual that involved an egg, a piece of bread and a paper bag. While I remember that, I can't recall how to best utilize them. Was there a real sequence or was this just an exercise in frustration? If it's a real thing I want to try it.

Take two slices of bacon (the leanest you can get) one brown pure paper bag small size (must be straight paper no wax on bag) lay the bacon strips in bottom of bag, cut a round hole in the slice of bread,place the bread on top of the bacon, crack the egg and place the innards in the hole you made in the bread, tie the bag shut and tie it too a long stick, use the coals from the fire (no flames) slowley pass the the bag tied too the stick back and forth over the coals about 6-8 in. over the heat, it takes a bit of practice too insure everything gets cooked, presto breakfast. Heres another too try get a pure paper cup you can also heat water in the same method.

Water can be boiled in a paper container placed directly on the heat source such as coals. The paper will only burn down to the water line. I've done it using a piece of notebook paper folded into a box with the corner fasted with paper clips when teaching survival classes in the Army.

Take two slices of bacon (the leanest you can get) one brown pure paper bag small size (must be straight paper no wax on bag) lay the bacon strips in bottom of bag, cut a round hole in the slice of bread,place the bread on top of the bacon, crack the egg and place the innards in the hole you made in the bread, tie the bag shut and tie it too a long stick, use the coals from the fire (no flames) slowley pass the the bag tied too the stick back and forth over the coals about 6-8 in. over the heat, it takes a bit of practice too insure everything gets cooked, presto breakfast. Heres another too try get a pure paper cup you can also heat water in the same method.
As a kid, I used to boil water in a paper cup with a railroad flare. The paper would blacken, the water would boil, but each would cancel the other out. Still amazed at that!

I recall making breakfast on Boy Scout camping trips by cutting an orange in half, removing the sections, and cracking eggs into the cups made by the peel. Set them in the coals while you ate the orange, by that time the eggs were done.

At an International Boy Scout Jamboree on Lake of the Woods, umm, 60 yrs ago, one of our tests was who could boil water first in a paper bag. Not that hard, really.

At an International Boy Scout Jamboree on Lake of the Woods, umm, 60 yrs ago, one of our tests was who could boil water first in a paper bag. Not that hard, really.
I didn’t scout when a kid. I was a late teen and read a Louis L’Amore book where it was mentioned using birch bark. Tried a cone of construction paper and it worked

I get the same thing from McDonalds drive-through every morning.

An egg can be fried on a paper plate in the same manner. Thin potatoes too but you got to be real watchful.
(iirc)

So you crack open the egg onto one side of the bread, and using your finger, you scramble it on top of the side of the bread, and spread it around as much of that one side that you can. The egg soaks into the bread some, and then you cook the egg by putting the bag onto some coals with a lot of ashes on them, and then lay the bread egg side down onto the bag..., This cooks the egg enough, and you get a piece of bread with a side of cooked scrambled egg. Just be sure to peel the brown paper of the bag off of the egg before you eat the egg/bread.

Part of the trick is to get the egg cooked enough so it will come away from the paper....,

IF you're really good and have enough time you can toast both sides of the bread first.

LD

As I recall, the Order of the Arrow Initiation involved spending the night alone in the woods along with the egg, paper bag, and bread. No talking. Maybe two matches ? (can't remember). Some cooked their egg in a mussel shell, made toast on a stick.

Cooking merit badge required cooking stuff on a fire. Some was edible, some was not. My son got really good with a Dutch oven. Smart leaders kept a can of Spam around.

I went through my Order of the Arrow "Ordeal" at long-gone Camp Hohobas across the Puget Sound from Tacoma, Washington, about 1967 or so -- Mount Rainier Council. We were allowed some plastic sheeting and our sleeping bags, and as we walked along a trail in the dark and the drizzle, a hand would touch your shoulder and point you right or left off the trail. You stumbled a few paces, spread your groundcloth and sleeping bag the best you could and crawled in. I remember being cold, wet, shivering and getting very little sleep -- in those days there was a lot of cotton flannel in most sleeping bags, worthless when wet.
Finally it began to get light and I could hear others dragging themselves out of their bags, putting on boots and seeing for the first time where they had slept. I had spent my wretched night among salal and last summer's bracken fern scattered under second-growth Doug fir. Silently, like zombies, we trudged down the trail and emerged at the camp headquarters, getting in line for the breakfast ordeal. And it was a cunningly conceived ordeal indeed. One guy handed you a paper cup full nearly to the top with scalding hot chocolate. The next guy placed a piece of toast on top of the cup. The third guy set the diabolical hard-boiled egg on top of the toast and then you had to walk a couple of hundred yards to the picnic tables where you could sit down and inhale your simple breakfast as only a famished young teenager can do.
Here is the Machiavellian twist: You have your big bundle of wet sleeping bag under your left arm and you are carrying your hot chocolate/toast/egg in your free hand and by the time you reach the tables to sit down, the hot chocolate has splashed and turned the toast soggy. It is a matter of time before the egg drops into the cup and the hot liquid splashes over your hand. I remember saying "Ouch" and was immediately censured for breaking the code of silence. I ate what I could salvage while waiting to learn what extra task I was to perform as penance for speaking.
As soon as I got home that afternoon, I peeled off my damp, smelly clothes and took one of the longest hot showers of my life. I'll never forget that OA Ordeal or the ingenious campcraft/wisdom that produced the chocolate toast and egg torture device. To this day, I live in horror of soggy toast.
That's my story, anyway. 😄

Latest posts

Back