• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Amusing/Ridiculous Muzzleloading Misconceptions...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To all that answered me, thank you and I hope you get a chance to read the article, I did print the whole thing on this site. I think I figured out how to change it into a P DF format, and I should be happy to send it to somebody that can't read the darn thing.
Squint
Howard, and others - Before Agent Orange laid waste to my spinal cord, spine bones, hip joints, etc ad infinitum, I made my livelihood as an Environmental Scientist, kind of specializing in wetlands and wildlife. Worked from Virginia south to Argentina, west in the USA to Texas, etc.
I had several excellent teachers in college, which I started in 1970, when I was 29. Thank you, GI Bill!

These teachers taught me to always look beyond things that were stated as "real", and to think of what might possibly be a bit more true. People, especially journalists who are paid by the word, tend to exaggerate everything, to be more spectacular than others.
One of the best teachers was Steven B., who helped me with my Masters while I was still an undergrad. He touched on the paradigm of the buffalo when we were studying bait fish in another area - why were they plentiful one year, and almost gone the next? Then several years would pass, and the numbers would be up again. I pointed out to him the rabbits and quail - some years they are all over the place, a year later, none to be found. We are almost experiencing this with whitetail deer, and Chronic Wasting Disease, but fortunately being a bit wiser and are attempting to limit the spread.
So, Steven and I looked at the buffalo numbers, and came to the same conclusions that Koucky and others have - disease, NOT the white man, nor the red man, was the ultimate slayer of the millions of buffalo.
I love these majestic creatures! During my 10 years in Oklahoma when I was first sidelined, I would sometimes spend hours watching the (domestic) herds here and there in Oklahoma. And thankful to those who tried, and succeeded, in breeding for an excess each year until the numbers started to become sustainable.
It IS possible, BTW, to use your favorite muzzle loader to go on a buffalo "hunt". Do a bit of research, and you will find quite a few ranches who are willing and able to satisfy your dream. And some of the hunts ARE hunts - you may or may not find a suitable animal. Best of luck to you - I will be on the sidelines watching - and waiting for another of those 2" thick steaks! Smoked tongue is great as well, even from a whitetailed deer.

A lady walked into the Sheriff's office carrying a brown paper sack. Inside were the remains of a Colt-type percussion revolver, blown apart. She explained that she had purchased the revolver and "everything that goes with it" from a local sporting goods/liquor store as a Christmas present for her husband. It had blown up on the first shot. She said her husband had some burns on his hand but otherwise was unhurt.

The clerk had sold her "everything" but didn't know the difference between smokeless and black powder, hence the misshap. She just wanted her money back. I called the owner of the store, explained what happened and advised he should consider doing so.

A lady walked into the Sheriff's office carrying a brown paper sack. Inside were the remains of a Colt-type percussion revolver, blown apart. She explained that she had purchased the revolver and "everything that goes with it" from a local sporting goods/liquor store as a Christmas present for her husband. It had blown up on the first shot. She said her husband had some burns on his hand but otherwise was unhurt.

The clerk had sold her "everything" but didn't know the difference between smokeless and black powder, hence the misshap. She just wanted her money back. I called the owner of the store, explained what happened and advised he should consider doing so.
WOW! Just WOW! The husband was VERY lucky!

Is that a Morgan in your avatar?
I won't call you tough or sissy, just a very kool rider!
Looks like a big ole Belgium draft to me. Possibly a cross of a Belgium with a different breed. Their pretty popular with the fox hunters around here.

Funny how guys use their vehicles to express their masculinity. I usually drive a Suburu but I also drive an F250 diesel. Am I a tough guy or a wuss?
On my second Subaru. Would have made 350,000 miles on the first but for the teenager who hit me and totalled it.

Bought an F250 diesel new in '80. The truck is long gone. The fishing business is not kind to metal. But that Cummins diesel is still going strong. It is the power plant in an oyster boat on Delaware Bay.

Have had Fords, a Buick, a Cadillac, a Jeep (CJ), several F150's, a dune buggy and a hot rod. But after a couple years with the first Subaru I knew I had a vehicle reliable in all ways and all weathers. It isn't a 4wd monster truck and does not pretend to be. Which is fine with me.

Thanks for your story Enfield, I am in my 60's with a completely gray beard and hair, and I can relate to you. I was baby faced and had 'girls' hands until I was 17 or so. It's amazing how many people are medical professionals without licences are walking around. And child care professionals.

I'm still behind, here, but will now put in a mention. In my 20s while still in the Army I rarely shaved; really had nothing to shave. I was in my 30s before I could grow a decent mustache and not use Maybelline liner on it. I think I still look just like my avatar; my squeeze thinks I look near, at least, my actual age. But you know you're an oldster when a 40 year old "girl" looks, to you, like a kid.

Like I said, "you can't fix stupid", on both her, hubby, and store clerk part!

Well you didn't say you drive a prius so you are OK in my book.......
Gentlemen...and I use the term loosely....there are a helluva lot of women that drive some insane PU trucks...and I'm talking good looking women😎🤪

Actually, the "fill the barrel with black powder" test has been done, more than once. The barrel didn't explode. It's not a myth. Look on YouTube.
Don't try it with a large bore pistol. You may find different as was reported in Muzzle Blasts about 35 yrs ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back