• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

American Woodcock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the woodcocks. You guys are next level with the black powder bird kills. Very impressive all the way around. I’ve got a 3 year old pudelpointer. I have a hard enough time killing birds with modern equipment. We’ve only ever flushed Woodcock once. There was a group of three close together, too thick for a shot. Don’t see many in my neck of the woods.

I saw you guys talking gps collars. I have a garmin. Does give wife peace of mind when she’s out walking her. In tree cover, sometimes I have issues with it connecting, which can be frustrating.

My pup Lulu on a Dove hunt this September.
DB42D354-D250-4F8C-9CB9-7472DEF8F813.jpeg

Its been years since I hunted behind Gordon setters, but they were nice easy handing birds dogs that knew how to do their jobs.

Mine is from a breeder in North Carolina. He is a professional bird hunting guide focusing on grouse and woodcock.

He breeds maybe a litter or two every three years or so. She works real close and I like the fact that she checks in with me. Gentle, very affectionate and a lot of go. I also like that she turns that go off once we are back home and in the house.

To cook these woodcock, you remove the entrails and put them in a pan with shallots, butter, merlot, salt and pepper and parsley, thyme and oregano. Blend to purée. Put breasts and legs on broiler oven for 4 minutes, the meat will just slightly change color. Put meat in hot pan coated with olive oil. After 1 minute, pour purée over meat, stir rapidly for 1 minute, then reduce heat to a third and cover. Check every minute until breasts are rare. Prepare a French toast with egged bread, splash of milk, light berry jelly. Put the meat on bread and re-heat purée to almost boil, then pour over top and serve.

An earlier post mentioned that some dogs don't like Woodcock. This is true. They have an odor that some bird dogs just don't like. I don't think it's a breed thing, just an individual dog thing.

My American Water Spaniel retrieved everything and had no problems with them. My Gordon Setter will pick them up but then quickly drop them. I have taken them and gently rolled them into her mouth for her to hold but as soon as I let go she spits it out. She finds and points them, and then leads me to the dead ones. I'll take the trade-off that she won't pick them up.

An earlier post mentioned that some dogs don't like Woodcock. This is true. They have an odor that some bird dogs just don't like. I don't think it's a breed thing, just an individual dog thing.

My American Water Spaniel retrieved everything and had no problems with them. My Gordon Setter will pick them up but then quickly drop them. I have taken them and gently rolled them into her mouth for her to hold but as soon as I let go she spits it out. She finds and points them, and then leads me to the dead ones. I'll take the trade-off that she won't pick them up.
I had a Springer Spaniel who wouldn't retrieve Black Swans if I could do so myself , he would drag them to the bank and leave them for me to carry . You could hear him spitting and cussing as he brought the bird back through the water .
In the 1570's Mary Queen of Scots husband was given a Water Spaniel so the base breed goes way back .
In the early 1970's a friend had a Gordon setter who had been rescued form a hippie commune , the dog wouldn't point Pheasants but It pointed dope plants all over the place .
Many Spaniel handlers tell their dogs to "Hupp " when they want the dog to sit , it is believed the dogs were told to "Sit up" while the shooters flintlock was reloaded , and over time this became Hupp.

I had a Springer Spaniel who wouldn't retrieve Black Swans if I could do so myself , he would drag them to the bank and leave them for me to carry . You could hear him spitting and cussing as he brought the bird back through the water .
In the 1570's Mary Queen of Scots husband was given a Water Spaniel so the base breed goes way back .
In the early 1970's a friend had a Gordon setter who had been rescued form a hippie commune , the dog wouldn't point Pheasants but It pointed dope plants all over the place .
Many Spaniel handlers tell their dogs to "Hupp " when they want the dog to sit , it is believed the dogs were told to "Sit up" while the shooters flintlock was reloaded , and over time this became Hupp.
Where do you live that you can hunt black swans ?

New Zealand , Limits vary from area to area but 3 is enough for any one to carry . They were introduced from Australia at the beginning of last century so are listed as game birds . Canada Geese used to be on Licence but now are deemed a pest and can be shot any where any time with any firearm , flying or on the ground .
I have a mate who turns the swan breast into a salami for me , the legs get pressure cooked with various herbs and spices .

New Zealand , Limits vary from area to area but 3 is enough for any one to carry . They were introduced from Australia at the beginning of last century so are listed as game birds . Canada Geese used to be on Licence but now are deemed a pest and can be shot any where any time with any firearm , flying or on the ground .
I have a mate who turns the swan breast into a salami for me , the legs get pressure cooked with various herbs and spices .
I should have guessed new Zealand. Maybe a trip over that way should be on my books lol.

The success continues. I am so happy a forum member reached out to me with this "lightweight" version of the shotgun. No elbow or wrist pain in a whole day of hunting. Nearly 2-pounds less makes a big difference. I am shooting better than my modern-gun-toting companions. This may be due to taking the time to pattern the shotgun and knowing how to bend the stock and fit it to me. My little dog is 24-pounds of dynamite. She quickly figured out the woodcock and was able to nail every one with a solid point today, including a double (which I shot one of and missed the other - not too many opportunities for a double on woodcock and this one was wasted). It is late in the season all things considered. These birds may have been shot at from Canada to Louisiana. This is the last week where I was and I believe the last week of any season in this Country. For that reason, I chose a little bigger load today. Instead of 7/8 or even 1-ounce of shot I went with a square load at 1 1/8th-ounce. It may or may not have made a difference as the birds were no further out than usual when I shot. However, I did get two out of three with just a few pellets, so having more pellets may have been an advantage. Another observation without explanation - Pyrodex RS smokes a lot more when the humidity is high. I use Goex for the first 2 shots for sure-fire ignition, but then switch to the Pyrodex because it works in this shotgun and saves precious black powder. With a slight drizzle, the smoke cloud hung in the air and was as big or bigger than the Goex based clouds.

Jan Woodcock.jpg

Light gun is why i kept search until i found one. Weight is important when hunting all day and in thick cover.

I dont shoot many woodcock since i dont get flight birds coming thru my area. Lost a chance at a double this year when the first bird went up and the second delayed a couple seconds. So they both got a free pass.

Back