• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Woodcock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I hunt we have ant hills that are often hidden by the cover. They can be basketball size and larger. Hit one of those wrong with your feet, you are likely to go down. As much as you think you can hold on to and control your gun it is not always possible. Lots of stuff grabbing at your feet as we walk through the fields.

Hunting by yourself you are only going to shoot yourself or your dog if you have an accident.

I assume if you were hunting with a buddy that you would not do that?

Fleener

Where I hunt we have ant hills that are often hidden by the cover. They can be basketball size and larger. Hit one of those wrong with your feet, you are likely to go down. As much as you think you can hold on to and control your gun it is not always possible. Lots of stuff grabbing at your feet as we walk through the fields.

Hunting by yourself you are only going to shoot yourself or your dog if you have an accident.

I assume if you were hunting with a buddy that you would not do that?

Fleener
It gets much more difficult in company. Naturally things are different. We don't have ant hills.

You don't use half cock ? So do you leave the hammer on the nipple ?
Yes Pete.
Half cock notches fail. Then one has a percussion. Hammer on cap no percussion. OK drop gun or the hammer gets struck by a hard surface that is also percussion but around here it's mud, a little mud and more mud!

Yes Pete.
Half cock notches fail. Then one has a percussion. Hammer on cap no percussion. OK drop gun or the hammer gets struck by a hard surface that is also percussion but around here it's mud, a little mud and more mud!
I dont think I'll be trying that lol

Be an interesting experiment to see if a cap will fire from the half cock position on my guns,I suspect it won't.

Of you get the beeper collar please let us know how it works out. I am curious. It seems like I can hear other dogs with then from so far away that I'm not sure I'd be able to pinpoint my dogs exact location with one. I track him mostly by the bell when I can't see him.
Bell dont ring when on point lol

As I don't work pointing dogs anymore I cock the hammers when it feels right to and they stay cocked until I come across an obstacle or fancy a break.
Jess may give me a clue sometimes mind.
No way would I have time to cock on the flush!
I do hunt alone.
Picture this chain of events. Carrying your shotgun in the ready position. Trip on a rock or hidden hole. Can't stay upright so you throw your hands in front of you to break your fall. Right hand pushes the butt away from you turning the gun in the air. Thumb slips in the trigger guard while the barrel is pointed directly at your forehead. Buttstock hits the ground pulling (pushing) the trigger with your thumb.

Sounds farfetched, but it happened to me. Safety on the gun saved me from blowing my head off. I suppose that you could decide ahead of time that if you fall, you'll just take the faceplant full force instead of having the chance of dying.

Picture this chain of events. Carrying your shotgun in the ready position. Trip on a rock or hidden hole. Can't stay upright so you throw your hands in front of you to break your fall. Right hand pushes the butt away from you turning the gun in the air. Thumb slips in the trigger guard while the barrel is pointed directly at your forehead. Buttstock hits the ground pulling (pushing) the trigger with your thumb.

Sounds farfetched, but it happened to me. Safety on the gun saved me from blowing my head off. I suppose that you could decide ahead of time that if you fall, you'll just take the faceplant full force instead of having the chance of dying.
More chances of being killed driving to work over here buddy.
Usually when I am hunting it is akin to the type you guys call still hunting. I am stalking, moving very slowly. If I am marching, traversing water or ditches hammers are down.
I have fallen. With all manner of firearms. On every occasion I have kept firm hold of the firearm and usually collapse the knees and roll on my back maintaining firearm muzzle control. In my mind that is paramount.
If I was in terrain that was utterly pathetic to move comfortably or profitable hunting wise I'd sooner not go!
This is another situation where upon If all common sense is removed from a hypothetical imagined situation the only logical outcome to proceed with is to ban all muzzleloaders before someone hurts themselves!
Just as I would not drive the wrong way down the interstate I too would not hunt in an equally dangerous way. That is not determined by the position of the hammers.

Usually when I am hunting it is akin to the type you guys call still hunting. I am stalking, moving very slowly. If I am marching, traversing water or ditches hammers are down.
I have fallen. With all manner of firearms. On every occasion I have kept firm hold of the firearm and usually collapse the knees and roll on my back maintaining firearm muzzle control. In my mind that is paramount.
If I was in terrain that was utterly pathetic to move comfortably or profitable hunting wise I'd sooner not go!
This is another situation where upon If all common sense is removed from a hypothetical imagined situation the only logical outcome to proceed with is to ban all muzzleloaders before someone hurts themselves!
Just as I would not drive the wrong way down the interstate I too would not hunt in an equally dangerous way. That is not determined by the position of the hammers.
Fair enough, I like to tell this story so it won’t happen to someone else and end up more tragically. I only started hunting when I was thirty, though I have been shooting all my life. Hammer position/safety can be part of the equation of staying alive in a bad situation, but at least those reading can now give some thought to this hazard, where they may haven’t before. Thanks for your reply, food for thought for me as well.

Out of interest,how do you carry your flintlocks ?

Your post a few months ago with your Epagneul Breton made me look up what kind of dog it was. Short story is I am now 2 weeks into my own Epagneul Breton pup.

Years ago I had an American Britney and until you posted about your pup did not know there was a French version. Now I have a new buddy, thank you.

I have used a bell and beeper for years. Beeper worked great for a pointing dog in thick cover that you cant see the dog. I been doing research on the various tracking/training collars and I think I will buy the Garmin Alpha 10. Looks like a simple system and easy to use. I got a couple of buddies with the Alpha 100 and they dont like the complexity of that system. I wont be hunting vast country for the most part and need the mapping.

In the cute picture he is about 6 weeks old. In the picture with the birds he is 9 weeks old. Too young to hunt but not to dream.

FleenerView attachment 112689View attachment 112690
You are right. He really is a cutie. I just wonder why no one posts a picture of their "cute" wife ;) ?

Britsmoothy

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You will cock the hammers if you are in cover that you think might have something in it, perhaps walk several meters or more with the hammers cocked?

Cocking the hammer as I shoulder the gun is as automatic as taking a safety off a modern gun as I shoulder it.

Fleener
Good point. It also keeps one from shooting a little too fast.

Out of interest,how do you carry your flintlocks ?
I don't tend to do much wing shooting with flint locks, I'm not that good a shot but have done.

Same. If it looks, or if I know a bird is about I will make ready by cocking the cock.
My hunting must be different. Most of my birds are like rockets. Blink and they are gone.

I don't tend to do much wing shooting with flint locks, I'm not that good a shot but have done.

Same. If it looks, or if I know a bird is about I will make ready by cocking the cock.
My hunting must be different. Most of my birds are like rockets. Blink and they are gone.
But doesn't it have to be set on half cock to close the frizzen ? Mine does at least

I hear your pretty good at shooting rockets ,seen the photos too !!!!!/Ed

Back