• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

American Pioneer Powder is Back in Business & Available

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbon,
You seem to be making a lot of faulty generalizations.

Keep in mind that dozens if not hundreds of these pellets were loaded into the bore of a cannon. Not one or two, it's hardly an equal comparison to what we call "pellets" today.
Also keep in mind that all gunpowder is "compressed".

It's plain and simple, muzzle loading cannons are traditional guns.
Muzzle loading is about more than shoulder fired guns.

Well ya, That's not my argument.
P.S. Did I mention I own two cannons ?

Would you call these "Pellets" ?

1604091794268.png

Cutting to the chase, the Muzzleloading Forum does allow discussions about powder loads that come in the form of compressed pellets.
The concept of compressing powder into pellet form predates the cut off point for the forum and regardless of their initial purpose, pellets are used by some in their muzzleloading rifles.

The subject of this thread is the American Powder company so, let's please get back to talking about it and the powders they make for muzzleloaders.

I have a wack of Jim Shockeys Yukon Gold Powder sticks. They're made by APP. Problem is they're square shaped and don't always ignite that well. Could they be ground up safely into a coarse powder? I don't know if that would affect pressure curves etc... I've considered putting a few grains of Goex in first to get it going.

I have never smelled an ELEPHANT FART OR S$$T, does it smell like BACON COOKING?
I've not either but my wife must have. First time she smelled BP was when she came home from town, walked in the house while I was cleaning my new muzzle loader barrel in her bath tub in her new house. I bet the neighbors heard her. It was about that time I learned to clean my rifle before I got home. Always learning something.

Considering the current pandemic and the antipathological properties of sulfur dioxide ( the byproduct of burning sulfur) we should all probably be shooting real blackpowder or Pyrodex.

I have a wack of Jim Shockeys Yukon Gold Powder sticks. They're made by APP. Problem is they're square shaped and don't always ignite that well. Could they be ground up safely into a coarse powder? I don't know if that would affect pressure curves etc... I've considered putting a few grains of Goex in first to get it going.
i have some of those too, the .50 cal size. I drop 15 gr of black in first then
ram the stick down. Works good in a flintlock- saves on powder, and uses up stuff i have laying around. I got them for free

Well hardly an intensive test. I got my barrel (209x50 Encore) back from getting two more holes tapped for a 6 hole base, mounted a Konus 1-4x25 30 MM scope on it and put the barrel on the action. I had ordered and received 4 pounds of the MPB from Grafs. I got it sighted in pretty fast but I noticed the scope sits too far back set as far forward as I can get it. A combination of the adjustment knobs being in the wrong place and the eyepiece being pretty long it hit me in the face 4 times. Not hard enough to make me bleed but a bump none the less. So I flinched a few shots. At any rate because of this I kept my charges down to two loads of 80 and 90 grains for testing. The powder puts out plenty of smoke if that is important to you. Fouling is minimal. I normally swab by running a wetted patch (this time with orange windshield washer fluid) turning it over and running it again then running a dry patch between shots. The first patch is dirty but the second is pretty clean. Accuracy and repeatability was very good when I wasn't flinching, I wasted three shots and I only fired 15. Cleanup was a breeze I ran both sides of a wet patch and a dry patch 3 times and the barrel looks spotless. The breech plug remained clear and I did check it at shot 11 and when I was finished. So now I have to find a scope that I can get the eyepiece far enough forward so it doesn't knock my shooting glasses off. I was shooting green ribbed Harvester sabots and 240 gr. Speer Unicor .429 bullets which loaded just right. Got it sighted in 1 inch high at a hundred but that is worthless because I have to change scopes.

APP is a sad excuse for a BP analog. It is an asorbic acid and sugar powder. It is hydroscopic. The shelf life is limited. It would be my last choice.

As was mentioned, this is a traditional muzzleloading forum.
We do not discuss in-line, modern guns or guns that are based on a style that were made after 1865 here.
We also do not discuss conversion cylinders, sabots or bullets with plastic parts.

Our sister forum, Modern Muzzleloaders is set up to talk about these guns. Here's a link to their site

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

This is a traditional site if you want to discuss a modern muzzleloader go to our sister site "modern muzzleloading"

Sorry I only meant to give a current report on the Multi Purpose Black that Shooters world is putting out. I actually posted the same thing on Modern Muzzleloaders.

As was mentioned, this is a traditional muzzleloading forum.
We do not discuss in-line, modern guns or guns that are based on a style that were made after 1865 here.
We also do not discuss conversion cylinders, sabots or bullets with plastic parts.

Our sister forum, Modern Muzzleloaders is set up to talk about these guns. Here's a link to their site

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/

Pardon my mistake thinking a current test of Shooters World Multi Purpose Black which is the current version
American Pioneer Powder
is putting on the shelf. would be of any interest. I don't have any #11 percussion caps or I would have related a test using one of my traditional muzzleloaders.

Back