• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

American Pioneer Powder is Back in Business & Available

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happens if you use 50 caliber powder sticks in a 54 caliber or larger barrel? I've never used anything but loose powder.

Please watch the video more closely beginning at the 1:33 mark and it can be clearly seen that the pot moved when the shot is taken.
The pot can be seen moving a few inches back and to the right.

I saw no clear movement of the pot, I did see waviness in the video, but that's the cell phone.
If you slow the video down to .25 speed You can clearly count the videographer's footsteps. I counted ten past the shooter, making the shot about ten yards or less considering goosetepping in tall grass. 30 feet or less and he hit a 4 gallon pot, Woohoo that's something to brag about for sure. 🤣

That video was shot back in 2013, I wonder how many other people have made videos shooting APP in their flintlocks ?
Please chime in everyone. I tried it and it sucks in a flintlock.

Real blackpowder is still the superior propellant. It works in all blackpowder firearms.

What happens if you use 50 caliber powder sticks in a 54 caliber or larger barrel? I've never used anything but loose powder.

That's a technical question that a person should ask APP customer service about.
And APP is now making .50 round pellets.
In the past when Hodgdon was asked that question about using .50 Pyrodex pellets in a .54, their reply was that it was okay to use them in a .54 bore.
But that's not the same as using them in an even larger unspecified bore size.
I suppose that if a person really needed to use up their powder sticks they could find a safe way to crush them up and make some loose powder out of them.

The more manufacturers the better. All shooters are free (so far) to choose what works for them. Bashing a company because of personal taste, or opinion is unwarranted. If a product is defective, or service is bad, let us know.

Ah, but there aren't more manufacturers. We are now down to 3, I think.
Not bashing anyone either, just telling my experiences. If you read my posts I've repeatedly said I like their powder, just not in muzzleloaders..

Who shoots pellets out of a traditional gun ?

Mostly C&B revolver shooters since revolver pellets seem to work in them without any problem.
I expect to see APP eventually make them now that the Hodgdon patent appears to have expired.
It was the patent infringement for round pellets that led the original Clear Shot powder company to go bankrupt and then re-emerge as American Pioneer Powder.

Mostly C&B revolver shooters since revolver pellets seem to work in them without any problem.
I expect to see APP eventually make them now that the Hodgdon patent appears to have expired.
It was the patent infringement for round pellets that led the original Clear Shot powder company to go bankrupt and then re-emerge as American Pioneer Powder.

In 50 cal ?

In 50 cal ?

First, APP makes .45 and .50 sticks and now .50 round pellets.
Second, I believe that there are traditional guns that can be loaded with pellets.
I shouldn't need to name all of the traditional guns that are possibilities.
However, consider the Colt Model 1855 Revolving rifle that was made from 1855 - 1863 including in .44, .50 and .56 caliber. --->>> I Have This Old Gun: Colt Model 1855 Revolving Carbine
There should be a stick or a partial stick that could be used in one or more of the Colt Model 1855 Revolving rifles.

revcarv.jpg

Who shoots pellets out of a traditional gun ?

Making pelletized powder is not a new concept.
Prismatic powder was being compressed using specialized methods and machines as early as 1856 by Thomas Rodman who eventually developed the largest cannons in the US military during the civil war.
That means that sticks and pellets can always be loaded into cannons to make more effective cannon powder.

"Rodman also addressed the effectiveness of the gunpowder used in cannons. During 1856 his experiments showed that using powder compressed into hexagonal-shaped grains with several holes cut lengthwise into them caused the grains to burn outside as well as in, unlike their predecessors. This resulted in a longer and more consistent burn time in the bore, increasing the muzzle velocity of the round fired, thereby increasing the range of the weapon. " --->>> Thomas Jackson Rodman - Wikipedia

Additional references:
1. Black Powder XXII - Compressed Powder
Black Powder XXIII - Prismatic Powder

Last edited:
From 50 cal handguns to cannons, boy can you dance.

BTW all gunpowder starts out "compressed"

The "traditional" guns on the market are modern reproductions made with modern materials.
Similarly reproduction C&B revolvers are much more modern than the originals and are designed to shoot a greater variety of powders than simply black powder.
The mission of this website includes the use of substitute powders as fitting its definition of traditional muzzle loading.
When people enjoy shooting with APP it's helping to keep tradition alive.
If the Goex plant exploded tomorrow, most folks wouldn't complain about being able to shoot with any satisfactory powder that they could get.
Let's not take our freedom to shoot for granted, it only lasts as long as the powder supplies.
Amen.

Sorry it won't Clear Shot. The company was Clean Shot Technologies. Methinks the sorry Clear Shot was a GOEX thing.

https://firearmshistory.blogspot.co...ick form, as a work-around the Hodgdon patent.

The Clean Shot pellets were powerful. But they wouldn't light reliably. Pellets required a booster charge of 5-10 grains of granular powder. i was shooting up the last of my Clean Shot pellets three at a time in my other kind of rifle behind a 330 grain hard cast bullet. The recoil was somewhat vigorous. Ended up with four pellets left. i loaded all four pellets in front of 10 grains of granular, That nine pound rifle recoiled like my .458 Winchester African with a stout load.

BTW: Someone patented round pellets in the 1890s.

Sorry it won't Clear Shot. The company was Clean Shot Technologies. Methinks the sorry Clear Shot was a GOEX thing.

https://firearmshistory.blogspot.co...ick form, as a work-around the Hodgdon patent.

The Clean Shot pellets were powerful. But they wouldn't light reliably. Pellets required a booster charge of 5-10 grains of granular powder. i was shooting up the last of my Clean Shot pellets three at a time in my other kind of rifle behind a 330 grain hard cast bullet. The recoil was somewhat vigorous. Ended up with four pellets left. i loaded all four pellets in front of 10 grains of granular, That nine pound rifle recoiled like my .458 Winchester African with a stout load.

BTW: Someone patented round pellets in the 1890s.
When we experimented with pellets years ago the wow moments were when using two pellets and one of them didn’t fully burn off in the barrel and looked like a signal flare going down range. Never bought into using them, though I know a few who do, mostly the 10 shots (or less) a year type. At least they get out.

More info please .

Patent was for a black powder pellet. Patent information is on one of two computer hard drives. Will search when i get time.

Never bought into using them, though I know a few who do, mostly the 10 shots (or less) a year type.

For years i used two Pyrodex pellets interchangeably with 100 grains of granular Pyrodex for hunting. Both put bullets into the same group at 100 yards when fired from a particular unmentionable.

The Pyrodex pellet has a black powder ignitor on one end. A well cared for conventional muzzleloader will light that pellet reliably.

Last edited:

Thank you. I still have some of both powders.

More info please .

IDK about a patent, but at the bottom of post #32 are 2 references of firearms history, click on one, and then in the left hand column there's a chapter listed about pellet BP [chapter XXV].

Last edited:
Back