• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

American Pioneer Powder is Back in Business & Available

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
APP is a sad excuse for a BP analog. It is an asorbic acid and sugar powder. It is hydroscopic. The shelf life is limited. It would be my last choice.

How did you get that information? I have been trying to figure out a way to explain that the hodgdon substitutes don't stay viable after a time.

How did you get that information? I have been trying to figure out a way to explain that the hodgdon substitutes don't stay viable after a time.

My experience with the APP powders is thin admittedly. I have burned just under two pounds of Shockey's Gold. The container I am almost finished with is 4 years old. It ignites perfectly and provides accuracy and still hits to where I sighted in the rifle when I bought the first pound more than 4 years ago (2016). so shelf life is at least 5 years. The Multi Purpose Black is some different that the old Shockey's Gold in that it's grind is much more even, it is darker and doesn't have the gold flecks in it. I don't believe the formula is the same. I have received the Musket cap nipples I ordered so I can shoot my traditional rifles as I have a good number of musket caps on hand. So maybe today if it doesn't rain I can run some PRB's and see if the MPB works in sidehammer guns well enough to suit me. These rifles have seen nothing but 3F Black and maybe a bit of 2F but no substitutes ever.

From examining the actual power. It was very coarse grind and fused into a lump. By reading ballistic test results of the powder. APP powder is not Pyrodex.

Pyrodex works and is stable in storage. It is however very corrosive and will etch small pits in the bore over time. It will eventually make the bore rough.

From examining the actual power. It was very coarse grind and fused into a lump. By reading ballistic test results of the powder. APP powder is not Pyrodex.

Well I have examined 6 different containers of APP powder and have not seen this.

Pyrodex works and is stable in storage. It is however very corrosive and will etch small pits in the bore over time. It will eventually make the bore rough.

I have shot many pounds of Pyrodex and yes it is corrosive but I have not experienced small pits being etched into the bore but I do clean thoroughly every time I shoot my muzzleloaders.

Traditional rifle test didn't work out so well. The musket cap nipples I ordered fit my TC Renegade barrel just fine but the Nobel musket caps which look like regular #11's only larger would not easily fit all the way down on the nipple causing me to have to drop the hammer on them more than once several times. When they popped the powder ignited. Impact using 90 grains of the Multi Purpose Black was a bit higher than my usual load of Goex 3F using round balls in both cases. Accuracy was 3 inches for 6 shots at 50 yards offhand, but I noticed my ticking patches were badly blown. I guess as soon as I remedy the nipple issue I will try again and work on why my patches are being blown apart. Seems like the bottom under the ball is being burned away and the part of the patch that wraps the ball is working as it should be.

on my old can of APP, I did have after opening it up, I had to use a wooden dowel to break it up. but as stated not a problem in firing it.

The "traditional" guns on the market are modern reproductions made with modern materials.
Similarly reproduction C&B revolvers are much more modern than the originals and are designed to shoot a greater variety of powders than simply black powder.
The mission of this website includes the use of substitute powders as fitting its definition of traditional muzzle loading.
When people enjoy shooting with APP it's helping to keep tradition alive.
If the Goex plant exploded tomorrow, most folks wouldn't complain about being able to shoot with any satisfactory powder that they could get.
Let's not take our freedom to shoot for granted, it only lasts as long as the powder supplies.
Know we know who to blame!

APP is a sad excuse for a BP analog. It is an asorbic acid and sugar powder. It is hydroscopic. The shelf life is limited. It would be my last choice.
If APP is indeed the same as Black MZ, then I can tell you that it is nothing like Pyrodex. It doesn't rust your barrel, gives out a bodacious cloud of smoke but has a sharp bite if you breathe any in. It keeps for a long time (10 years ago I bought some and it's still good). Actually have and still do use it. Try it and you might like it.

Back