• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

American Pioneer Powder is Back in Business & Available

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
American Pioneer Powder is now producing powder again after their plant explosion.
The powder with the original APP label is available for purchase from the following; outfits: bulletsbyscarett.com, lg-outdoors.com and wholesalehunter.com.

It's also being sold under the Shooters World label @ grafs.com as Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black FFF Sulfurless Powder.
(This black powder substitute is made in America for Shooters World by American Pioneer Powder).

1. Shooters World Multi-Purpose Black FFF Sulfurless Powder 1 Pound - Graf & Sons

2. [sold by the case] https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/ols/products/app-american-pioneer-powder-black-powder-substitute

3. Products at LG Outdoors

4. Products at Wholesale Hunter

Last edited:
Jedediah Starr and Jade-Inc.org also has APP in stock.
1. Muzzleloading Accessories - Powder & Propellent
2. Jade Inc | manufacturers > american-pioneer-powder

Gosh we just had this discussion a month ago.

Its only an announcement since there's a lot of folks that don't know that it's available again, and there's not many places selling it.
That's the best way to help keep the company in business since it's the only US sub. powder that's not made by Hodgdon.
It should be exported so that folks can buy it world wide.

Last edited:
This doesn't differ from telling folks where they can acquire real black, which is done here all the time.

Ya, OK whatever, There is a slight difference, "real black powder" refers to all manufacturers and brands of it. It could be manufactured domestically or imported. APP is a singular brand and type with a single manufacturer..

Ya, OK whatever, There is a slight difference, "real black powder" refers to all manufacturers and brands of it. It could be manufactured domestically or imported. APP is a singular brand and type with a single manufacturer..
Uh it is bellowed out all the time what brands of BP you can get where. We all know your distain for APP powders. I happen to like the old Black MZ and will see if our local stores can get the new APP powder in. That doesn't mena I dislike or snub BP in any way. I happen to likeFFg and FFFg Goex as well.

Uh it is bellowed out all the time what brands of BP you can get where. We all know your distain for APP powders. I happen to like the old Black MZ and will see if our local stores can get the new APP powder in. That doesn't mena I dislike or snub BP in any way. I happen to likeFFg and FFFg Goex as well.

I like black powder because our guns were designed to shoot black powder, Not APP.

APP and all of it's other names were designed for modern muzzleloaders. I liked Black MZ, just not in a traditional muzzleloader.

I like black powder because our guns were designed to shoot black powder, Not APP.

APP and all of it's other names were designed for modern muzzleloaders. I liked Black MZ, just not in a traditional muzzleloader.

The "traditional" guns on the market are modern reproductions made with modern materials.
Similarly reproduction C&B revolvers are much more modern than the originals and are designed to shoot a greater variety of powders than simply black powder.
The mission of this website includes the use of substitute powders as fitting its definition of traditional muzzle loading.
When people enjoy shooting with APP it's helping to keep tradition alive.
If the Goex plant exploded tomorrow, most folks wouldn't complain about being able to shoot with any satisfactory powder that they could get.
Let's not take our freedom to shoot for granted, it only lasts as long as the powder supplies.

Last edited:
is a HAS-MAT, fee applied to the shipping of it?

Yes usually. It's like any other powder, it depends on the company's shipping policy how much the extra fee will be.
Some companies give a discount on the hazmat fee or absorb it themselves such as when buying a full case of powder.

Similarly reproduction C&B revolvers are much more modern than the originals and are designed to shoot a greater variety of powders than simply black powder.
The mission of this website includes the use of substitute powders as fitting its definition of traditional muzzle loading.

Not all of them, and not according the the manufacturers manuals.

When people enjoy shooting with APP it's helping to keep tradition alive.

That is an argument all on it's own, one that is not true IMO.

I buy powder that works in flintlocks, and cap locks.

The advertising on their page, boasts like it's a miracle powder. Like it does all the work

Like every powder APP has its advantages and disadvantages.
It works as a main charge in some flintlocks, with only using BP in the pan.
Here's a thread with videos showing that it works.: --->> Videos- Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F

Like every powder APP has its advantages and disadvantages.
It works as a main charge in some flintlocks, with only using BP in the pan.
Here's a thread with videos showing that it works.: --->> Videos- Firing India Bess with American Pioneer 3F

That Bess probably has a vent so large the pan charge is acting like a kicker charge.
Try actually shooting a target with it, (using a flintlock) I tried it and found the ignition time to be unreliable and erratic. I was plagued with misfires and hangfires. Who want's that if you are trying to actually hit something.

P.S. I also think the guy in the video missed the pot.

Jedediah Starr and Jade-Inc.org also has APP in stock.
1. Muzzleloading Accessories - Powder & Propellent
2. Jade Inc | manufacturers > american-pioneer-powder

Its only an announcement since there's a lot of folks that don't know that it's available again, and there's not many places selling it.
That's the best way to help keep the company in business since it's the only US sub. powder that's not made by Hodgdon.
It should be exported so that folks can buy it world wide.
Thanks arcticap. I don't use it, though if it gets around here someplace handy I would like to try it. I've been using 777 and it is good for what I use it for, and the best thing is availability I would think that Pioneer would be just as good.
Squint

P.S. I also think the guy in the video missed the pot.

Please watch the video more closely beginning at the 1:33 mark and it can be clearly seen that the pot moved when the shot is taken.
The pot can be seen moving a few inches back and to the right.

Last edited:
Back