• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Mountain Men

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wulf said:
Correct...If your not of the spirt, you don't
belong...simple. I have to wonder, how many
of the commenters are mambers of The AMM.....
I think any of our members who comment in this topic and are members of AMM would be proud to say so. In fact several times in this topic some of our members have said they hope a AMM member will give his opinions on the questions being asked.

The fact that no one has responded leads me to believe the answer to your question is, so far, no AMM members have responded.

I've talked with a few from AMM or like minded groups. You can save a lot of $$$$ if you make most everything your self. If you forego horses, the most expensive piece of equipment is the rifle. If you put together a good kit probably around a grand.

I see no reason to join a club that has specific membership rules when a person can accomplish the same level of historical & period accuracy on their own. The very same can be accomplished with a small group of like-minded friends and you'll probably have more fun than stressing whether or not you'll be accepted by an organization....

Black Hand said:
I see no reason to join a club that has specific membership rules when a person can accomplish the same level of historical & period accuracy on their own. The very same can be accomplished with a small group of like-minded friends and you'll probably have more fun than stressing whether or not you'll be accepted by an organization....

:metoo: :thumbsup:

Black Hand said:

After all is said and done the only person we are in competition with is our selfs. HC clothing and an hc gun won’t run ten thousand dollars. Not a lot is needed as MM were minimalists.
In 1825 the frontier included a swath of land that ran from Louisiana to Minnesota and out in to Texas. In all that land there were a few hundred MM.
AMM represents the frontier like the third Arkansas represents WTBS reinactors, or the Green mountain boys in the AWI.
You don’t have to join a club to do it right, if you do join a club you have to play by their rules. In the end your only rules are what you make for your self.

i was a a shoot some years ago, spoke to a man who had tried to join. after spending 2000 dollars on hides, supplies etc. and using his vacation time he gave up. the egpt. did not include a rifle.

I joined in 1975...And became a Hiveranno....
No body ever asked me on this forum. We don't
have all the "rules and laws" we are accused of
having...Thats BS. Lots of rumers going around
because we don't have a swinging door...This is
for serious members who believe in learning
preserving the skills of survival and teaching
to those who feel the same...Nuff out of me,
think what you will. We are who we are.

I'm a bit confused.

After reading requirement #16 which says, "16. Must have at least three full years of membership in the AMM.", I wondered where you would get the 3 full years of membership if you were not already a member.

Looking further into it I found the requirements to be a Pilgrim member so based on requirement #16 I figured you needed to be a Pilgrim member for 3 years.

Then, I noticed in the Pilgrim requirements it said,

"... . Once sponsored as a Pilgrim, you will have a minimum of one year and a maximum two years to complete the requirements to become a full member (Bossloper)."

WHAT? :confused:

You need 3 years of some sort of membership to become a member but you can only be a pilgrim for 2 years before becoming a member?

It's all very confusing but because I don't personally want to go thru the hardships needed to join, I'll try not to worry about it. :td:

wulf said:
I joined in 1975...And became a Hiveranno....
No body ever asked me on this forum. We don't
have all the "rules and laws" we are accused of
having...Thats BS. Lots of rumers going around
because we don't have a swinging door...
That is all well and good, but the Rules are clearly posted on the AMM website for all to see. No rumors, just fact... http://americanmountainmen.org/membership/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow based on those requirements/rules I'd say you have accomplished something if you are indeed a member. One would have to have at the minimum a very understanding spouse to be able to accomplish that. Single or a spouse interested in the same things would probably be best, but that looks like a lot of time. Money probably not as much you can make most of what you need, but again lots of time.

I read through the whole kit and caboodle. After you are asked to join (as a pilgrim) you would need to meet requirements 1 and 2 and then (I think) 8 out of the rest. The requirements are poorly ordered, or perhaps it is a test to see how much perseverance one has? As a pilgrim one has a couple, three years to complete the requirements to advance on (I think).

A number of organizations are somewhat exclusive and have differing levels of requirements to join. If I was 25 I might be interested in AMM, but at my age, I'm just glad to get up in the morning (and a couple of times at night too).

A number of organizations require new members to be asked before admittance and often have a probationary period. It is their right.

I like the Groucho quote.

You know you can’t look them on line and send them an membership form and a check and get in. You have to be sponsored and invited. They don’t actively recruit.
I was invited but I knew I couldn’t keep up with the time line.
Never was invited again. I don’t reckon any one who doesn’t want to follow their rules will ever have to deal with it.

I’ve known a few and liked them. They are for sure the go-to group for as hc as possible in their area.
We are all a half a bubble off or we wouldn’t be doing this whole funny clothes,smelly guns and sleeping on the ground thing. We find our fun where we find it. We all lay down a marker and say that’s what I want to achieve in my quest to recreate a past life style. None of us can get to 100%, it’s the journey that’s the fun.

Latest posts

Back