• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American made flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some American hand made flints off of Rich Pierce. He does a great job and the cost is very reasonable. He is a member of this forum, check with him and see if he has any for your gun.

I've been using the "TexArk flints sold by Muzzleloader Builders.com for $1.00 each. The one in my R.E.Davis colonial lock has over 50 shots and is still razor sharp and sparks great. No misfires yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
rj morrison said:
he is out of business due to health

Not according to him he's not. Last time someone posted this I wrote him and he said it's bunk. He's just busy with work and such. He's very much in good health so please check with him before spreading rumors. :nono:

Here is the reply I got from him via email "Rick, I'm ok. I had a shoulder problem some time ago and have recovered. Just busy working 6 days a week at 2 different jobs. Appreciate the prayers, brother!
rp"

So see, he's very much healed up and working his tail off.

My health is good, for which I am thankful. I am working 2 part time jobs and do have a little time for hobbies. PM me if you'd like to know more.

The ones he sold me were. And they spark real nice in my Pedersoli Kentucky and my Jukar pistol.

I think you'd have a hard time beating his price too.

That's something Mr. Pierce will have to answer. He is from MO so I would assume that he collects the flint or chert from somewhere close to him. The flints are a grey color and shaped very nice. Just tell him what size you need and he'll do right by you.

He does a great job is all I can say.

I also like Muzzleloader Builder's Supply TexArk flints. Here are the 7/8" ones. I used one in my Late English lock in my .58 to kill my mule deer buck. Of the package of 10 flints, two were a bit thick but the others were surprisingly thin and flat. They are $1 each, knapped by special needs young adults. Made of Texas chert. I like them. The 7/8" English flints are $2 each from MBS.

I also like Muzzleloader Builder's Supply TexArk flints. Here are the 7/8" ones. I used one in my Late English lock in my .58 to kill my mule deer buck. Of the package of 10 flints, two were a bit thick but the others were surprisingly thin and flat. They are $1 each, knapped by special needs young adults. Made of Texas chert. I like them. The 7/8" English flints are $2 each from MBS.

I have heard good things about them and will be ordering some in support of who is making them.

Gene, there is a forum policy prohibiting business transactions here, so out of respect won't discuss my flints here. Don't want to appear to be skirting the rules. Please PM me for more info.

I think it's fair to say that I have never taken much stock in the theory that certain types of flints are superior based on where the flint came from (English, French, American, etc.). I do find knapped flints to work better than most sawn flints because a knapped flint will self sharpen during use but sawn ones sometimes just get dull and won't lose microchips during use that helps to freshen the edge.

Back