• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

American Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my .62cal Jaeger for 40 years. It was built for me by Jud Brennan to use on a planned moose hunt in 1979.

Brennan Jager_62.jpg

It's a good gun and kilt the moose I was after

Brennan gun.jpg

Phil,
From what I’ve read (need to get back to sources), in the 1740s and 1750s rifles were being imported from Germany with barrels in the 3’ to 4’ range. I’ve not seen accounts of importing rifles with barrels in the shorter range, or barrels in the shorter range.

Maybe I was obtuse above, but I do not understand the historical basis for building “American jaegers” with very short barrels. I could get it if it was an economical rebuild of an old European rifle. I’m just not sure who would want one, why they would want one, and who would build it, and how it would be used.

I’d like to better understand the rise of the longrifle in America but there are limited early specimens, they are not dated or signed, and period accounts before those at Christians Spring offer no details of value. I don’t think Peter Alexander or any of us have more than some guesses. But the rise of the longrifle implies the decline of the short rifle.

Rich, I would like to know what real advantages were seen to be had with the "American Longrifle" vs the jaeger or similar shorter barreled rifles, other than, it is my understanding that the longrifle was typically of smaller caliber, saving on lead (weight of shot) and powder. I don't see an economy of iron or other "construction materials", labor or time.
Your last sentence, second paragraph asks 4 questions and I believe that they are good ones but, I'd ask "Why not"?
I too would like to better understand the rise of the longrifle and the demise of the jaeger - perhaps, once a gunsmith found an enthusiastic market for his longrifle(s), he "followed the money", that was all that he built, all that was available.
I am a complete amateur at many things, never built a rifle (other than a couple simple kits) but there are some things that please my eye, and the jaeger style is one of them. I don't hunt any more, seldom get to the range, and admit that I often find many of the longrifles just gaudy, often works of art, but not for me.

Lobo: I like the post and I like your jaeger; it has all of the necessary parts and, except for being left-handed, would meet my expectations for a hunting arm.
I did not intend to disparage "fanciness" in longrifles. I do appreciate the workmanship in them.

B136BC9E-B5DB-4AA1-A06B-8986CC835E2B.jpeg
DCA785D1-526E-447E-AF1F-324040B820EB.jpeg
A42A5788-8EAE-4EB8-94F0-2CE35F8EFC7E.jpeg
50361818-27FB-4919-9C29-9A03D8FF4035.jpeg
5A01F8EC-77A0-40B7-A5DD-84CE496050B2.jpeg
89A2A032-073C-4A05-B958-8C9837F366A5.jpeg
Not to belabor this but it often happens that someone a) likes flintlock rifles; b) likes short rifles and c) prefers to have a gun that could have been made and used in the Colonies. They often choose to build an “American jaeger”. Companies like Track have offerings that implicitly indicate that such guns were not by any means rarities.

As mentioned above I could make a list of a number of original, likely American stocked guns, that have barrels in the 35-38” range and were likely made between 1740 and 1770. These would be good models for anyone to follow. Shorter barreled Germanic-styled rifles, likely built here are much more scarce.

If I were to choose one short barreled rifle most likely built here it would be the rifle called the “twin” of the smooth rifle #19 in Rifles of Colonial America. It’s attribution by its owner to Andreas Albrecht is controversial but any attributions without clear signatures are best guesses. Anyway, it is well known among students of very early rifles likely stocked here. And all the major parts are available. Stocked in walnut with a short barrel, it’s a real cutie. Shown above are the original and a bench copy.

I like to think of this rifle as kind of an Americanized Jaeger.
It is made using a curley maple Pecatonica River "Transitional" stock, a Davis Jaeger lock and a Colerain swamped barrel.

cangun10.jpg
cangun11.jpg
cangun2.jpg
cangun13.jpg
cangun6.jpg

I did use an old style metal patchbox and a French sideplate just to be a bit different.
Its barrel was shortened about 6 inches which makes the .54 caliber bore look rather impressive.
I also left the lock and the barrel "in the white", just to be a little different from what most builders do. :cool:

...Maybe I was obtuse above, but I do not understand the historical basis for building “American jaegers” with very short barrels. I could get it if it was an economical rebuild of an old European rifle. I’m just not sure who would want one, why they would want one, and who would build it, and how it would be used...

I understand. But how many times have you seen a post like this where someone is asking "Would like advice on building a 'Franken-whatever'." And how many times have we actually seen what the person has actually built--almost never. The OP will probably never get beyond the planning stage with his build. Probably 90% of these type posts never do. The remaining 10% may get started on a build, but never finish.

They're seeking affirmation of their idea--not really advice.

As far as who and why someone would want a short barrel "American Jaeger", probably because most of their experience with guns is with modern cartridge rifles that have very short barrels compared to muzzleloaders. If they have any experience with muzzleloaders, it's usually non-historic TC and various import rifles that have short barrels. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess.

Rich and Zonie, thanks for the comments and pictures, they really help. Two companies, Colerain and Rice offer barrels in 31" length so I figure it must be a valid barrel to work with. I've seen short barrel European flint rifles with barrels as short as 16 inches IIRC. Lots of German Jaegers seem to be shorter than 31 inches, so I'm happy with it, Bound to be fun project, I don't reenact, this is just a personal hunting gun, but I do appreciate the historical aspect.

rifles that have short barrels. Beyond that, it's anybody's guess.
Phil, thanks for your post! I have disabilities that preclude the use oflong barreled or muzzle heavy rifles; the Jaeger barrel I have seems to be a good fit if I do my part. I have built several of my own guns, some from a blank, and like to build stuff, but the Jaeger is an unknown quantity.

I like to think of this rifle as kind of an Americanized Jaeger.
It is made using a curley maple Pecatonica River "Transitional" stock, a Davis Jaeger lock and a Colerain swamped barrel.

View attachment 16717 View attachment 16718 View attachment 16719 View attachment 16720 View attachment 16721

I did use an old style metal patchbox and a French sideplate just to be a bit different.
Its barrel was shortened about 6 inches which makes the .54 caliber bore look rather impressive.
I also left the lock and the barrel "in the white", just to be a little different from what most builders do. :cool:
That’s a beautiful Jaeger Zonie!
I like the lock and barrel being left in the white. Beautiful ornamentation on that nicely finished stock as well!

Also love the fact that it’s a .54 too. That’s the caliber I shoot most often.

Again, Excellent looking Jaeger!

Respectfully, Cowboy

German/Swiss rifle barrels are occasionally "long". Not very often, but sometimes (I have seen only TWO rifles that are attributed to 18th century Switzerland... I'm surprised I don't see more... and those two have barrels in the 43" range. Two possible Swiss rifles hardly constitute a trend, but...). The "long rifle" was not an American innovation, really, it was just a choice of longer barrels over shorter ones, basically.

As far as "short" barreled rifles made or restocked in America, there are a few that exist. Very few. Of course, there are very few American rifles of any kind that still exist, prior to 1770.

As Rich said, people here tended to prefer the longer barrels, and records show them being ordered from Germany to be stocked here.

Interesting to consider, Rich. I like the Jaeger style; up here in the dense MN woods, it probably would be quite sensible and, considering my short stature... The muzzle of my early lancaster meets the tip of my nose; makes loading a bit of a chore for me. I think that if I would have thought things out better, I'd have asked my builder for a jaeger...back then. :oops:
I’m a little short guy too. Do what I do. Find a stump to climb up on. LOL

Thanks Robby, I in my ignorance really opened a can of worms! I guess a person back in the day who was broke financially could have picked up a used Jaeger barrel cheaply from a gunsmith and cobbled together a working rifle with available furniture and wood. I once saw two percussion guns from Louisiana stocked in cypress of all things. As the saying goes, Poor folks have poor ways... P.S. I'm drooling over your American Jaegers! George.

Wasn’t the old US Model 1841 rifle referred to as the American Jäger? I know it’s not what the OP or anyone else here is refering to. But i was playin’ devils advocate. :)

I remember a local quotation I think By John Holland Jenkins of the Massacre of the Coleman family (Mrs. Coleman and older son Albert killed, some children escaped, some taken hostage) which occured just down the road from my present location. The narrator described young Albert’s rifle as a "breech-loading" Jáger. Being that hos late father Robert Coleman was a local military person and vet of San Jacinto, I’ve often wondered if he was using a flint Hall carbine? Or even a rifle?
Just my musing this morning.

Hi.
Here is my 2 cents in this discussion.
Last year I built my version of an American Yaeger.
American, because I had a beautiful piece of American curly maple ( no other reason )
But there were other variables that made it unusual, the barrel was .75 cal. and 43" long.
All metal hardware was of Germanic design.
I seriously thought of cutting the barrel to 30-32" having a tapered barrel ( somewhat extreme by the slim waist of the barrel in question)
Inletting the swamped barrel was easy enough, using a sharp pencil.
So when the gun was finished it was quite large, but it was not too heavy, 9 lbs.
That BIG .735" ball let you know it was on it's way, especially, being pushed with 120 grains of 2F
Upon completion, it was a very nice looking rifle, but waaay too big for me, being 5'7"
Now, some fellow in Florida is hunting gators, and hogs with it.
I always wanted a Yaeger, so I guess I will be looking for a swamped .54 or .58, and about 30" long. for my next build.
Remember, keep yer powder dry!
Fred

I don't know that Jaegers were made in America, not sure.

However there Americanized versions of the Jaeger Rifle such as the Edward Marshal and Christian Springs Rifles. These evolved from the shorter barreled rifles to the longer rifles at around 35-39 inches.

The later Carolina, Kentucky, PA and VA rifles were pretty much the standard patterns after the AWI.

Some military rifles retained the short barrel, such as the 1803, Baker and 1776 Rifles.

The 1,012 Rifles made for the Prince of Orange 's rifle Regiment had 28" oct swamped barrel of 20 bore takeing a ball of 600 cal .But there's a raft of Continental military pieces with much shorter . Prince Eugines Rifles are c1799 . But there is no relationship to 'American Jagers' which is just our contempory term most likely . Well other than they are shorter rifled & go by flintlock All interesting . Rudyard

Not really knowing the rifled side well I probably have misconceptions about the earlier American arms keeping European jaeger features. I don't necessarily think about length but I think about size. I have a restocked Virginia rifle with an early jaeger barrel which is 41" and .68 caliber. It was restocked maybe 50 years after the barrel was first made, maybe 1820s. It is a bad project but neat to find an early barrel.

Back