• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I Dumb For Not Taking the Deal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone I know has/had a TC New Englander with both the rifle barrel and a 12 ga. barrel for $400. I haven’t seen the gun, but knowing the owner I’m sure it’s in great shape. I’ve been hesitant to take the plunge, but can’t help but wonder if I’m making a mistake passing it up. What do you think?

Never ask me if I think you are dumb. The question alone answers itself.

But to answer your question, I think the price is retail, but combos don't come up for sale very often.
So if you really want something, buy it. Price is irrelevant.

Never ask me if I think you are dumb. The question alone answers itself.

But to answer your question, I think the price is retail, but combos don't come up for sale very often.
So if you really want something, buy it. Price is irrelevant.
I respect an honest answer my friend :)

I guess my hang up was/is not knowing if I want to make the investment, so maybe I can take consolation in knowing that I’m not there yet, and if he still has it when/if I decide I want to to jump, then so be it. Thank you :)

Someone I know has/had a TC New Englander with both the rifle barrel and a 12 ga. barrel for $400. I haven’t seen the gun, but knowing the owner I’m sure it’s in great shape. I’ve been hesitant to take the plunge, but can’t help but wonder if I’m making a mistake passing it up. What do you think?

You could put just the 12ga barrel on awfulbay and get your money back then sell the rifle for all profit.

I bought an early New Englander about 4 years ago that has the rifle and shotgun barrels. Very nice combo. I would pick it up if it's something you have a yearning for! I also have the later New Englander shotgun with screw in chokes.

Buy it - ASAP!
If you've missed that one, follow your gut feelings next time.
I speak from sad experience, and satisfaction and continuing enjoyment of the few times I did listen to the inner voice (saying something like, "of course you can't really afford it but life is short. Do it!")

If he offered it to you, he may have offered it so someone else also. You might go and get it. if it's already sold, you lose. I bet you never get another opportunity or that model again.

To put things in perspective,I have seen a few TC 12ga. barrels alone go for $400.Most go for $300+.So if you sold just the barrels it would be around $400.Then you have a stock and lock worth Aprox.-$200. Definitely under retail!!

He who hesitates is lost. Asking hear means you lost most times IMHO.
I don't care what something cost 20-25 years ago Gheesh prices have gone up.

I would have bought it an doubled my money by now. However I was one of those dirty dealers who actually tried to make a profit from purchases instead of passing them along at a loss.

I'd call him right up and tell him you'd take it, if it hasn't already sold. I have the shotgun and it's fun. Cylinder Bore, but shoots round ball good.

Back