• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Altoid tins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use Altoid (breath mints) tins for flints, jags and patches. A tin can easily hold 8' of folded ticking patching. I burn the paint off with a small torch, turn the lid face-down on the anvil of my shop vise and gently hammer the imprinted legend flat - leaves a grey-black "no name" tin after brushing off the residue. baxter

I use them too. I use the little ones for holding precut patches, extra nipples, etc. I can always find a use for them for something. I use the big ones for my fire kit. Perfect size to hold my striker, some flint, char cloth and a little tow.

Jeff

My mother used to eat those Altoids by the carton. Wish I'd gotten more of those tins from her. The ones I do have were not embosssed, and I simply spraypainted the lids.

I have an individual tin for (almost) every size brush and cleaning rod jag.

I use the tins primarily around the shop, since there's nothing more annoying than running thru the brush with a tin of flints clanking along to mark your position.

Nothing works better with patches than percussion cap tins. I have a couple of little tea tins with hinged lids. These work very well for about anything really small.

Hey Stumpkiller, I've been looking for that thread for a little while, thanks for bringing it back up. Anyhow, in the altoid tin you show, how or what, do you make your dividers from? I have just purchased a 62 cal smoothbore and would like to do somthing like that with one of my altoid tins.
Thanks!

Those are strips of the cardboard used in hanging files. Just folded heavy paper.

HPIM2560.jpg

HPIM2568.jpg

HPIM2713.jpg

I made one for my cap shotgun as well with a section for tools & spare caps. You can see how the design was refined. ;-)

HPIM0789.jpg

I Have the Altoids "mini" and the "regular" ... if you want a little bit deeper tin ... find the "Sucrets" sore throat lozenges tin ...

I used to us percussion cap tins to but after a while they start to rust along the edge making them tough to get into. I now use a pill bottle or a snuff can

Anyone ever try using screw top pellet gun tins? Seems to me they would be more water proof than Altoids tins. Also in cold weather you wouldn't have to take of your shooting gloves to open it. Just a thought. What else would you use those pellet gun tins for?

I thought I had Altoids once but after nosing around a bit my doctor said if I quit using that fancy perfumed TP, the rash would go away.

:grin:

I Also use altoid tins but one of my favorite tins are the kewi shoe polish tins. It is what I carry my fire kit in. I punched a small hole in the lid for a vent and when the time is right I just stick a small sharpened limb in it to block off the oxygen when making Char cloth.
C8CA6712-70D7-4521-B331-3216961CE1A3-324-0000030ECF1226A0_zpsafb4ab1b.jpg

FCBA1558-95E2-4837-B0AA-C7F97531D4E6-324-0000030ED5E74244_zps91168fac.jpg

Back