• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Altoid tin replacements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunkskinner

50 Cal.
Reaction score
They are not difficult to make.
I made two pieces of iron to mold the copper around. One just a little bit smaller than the other, the bigger one is for the lid.

Some sheet copper from the junk yard.
Cut and bend the corners.
A quick dip in muratic (sp) acid.
Solder.
Trim the lid a little and sand the edges smooth.
Then bend the thing to a snug fit to secure the lid.

These are my first two, the corners should get better with practice.

DSCN1727.jpg

DSCN1728.jpg

DSCN1729.jpg

DSCN1730.jpg

DSCN1732.jpg

DSCN1733.jpg

DSCN1735.jpg

Not bad :thumbsup: . Now some metal stamps to letter 'em and yer all set...
Just my 2 cents...Bud

I dipped them in muriatic acid for a minute or so, then rinsed with water.

I plan on doing an experiment to give them some patina.

One will set in hog poo water for a day.
One will set in ammonia water for a day.
And one will set in cleaning water from the black powder guns.

After a 15 hour soak in said solutions it looks like the 10-20-10 cleaned it up a little more and the black powder rinse put a nice finish on it. I thought the poo would have done a better job than it did :idunno:

Before
DSCN1737.jpg

After
DSCN1739.jpg

Nice job...a man after my own heart, why buy it if you can make it.....thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Did you try heating it and dunking it in cold water. Or if you want it dark fumigate it with a little bit of ammonia in a dish or small cup and set it in a plastic shoe box with your "tin". Won't take long, maybe an hour. Watch it tho, it'll turn plum black if left too long...Bud

Latest posts

Back