• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alternative to CVA Barrel Blaster rust prevention?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After I am done cleaning the BP rifles I usually run a patch or two of the CVA rust preventer down the barrel prior to storage between shoots. Just wondering if there is an alternative to these? The last batch I bought weren't nearly as good as the older ones. As with everything anymore it seems the older versions are better. They had more "stuff" on them.

Looking for an alternative or to make my own but wondering what product would coat the barrel lightly enough to prevent any rust but not do any harm to the barrel. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

ok, beer and chips are ordered, ;)
any good maintenance oil will do the job

I have been using ballistol, I do want to try barricade, I plan on buying some when I find it.

Yes, Barricade is a fine rust protector, but can run around a $1- $ 1.50 an oz. being a tight wad that I am, I found trans fluid to work quite well, and sometimes easier to obtain. Has very good rust protector additives. Store muzzle down, before shooting clean/flush with a good grade alcohol.

I no longer use Ballistol in my barrel. It was prone to creating a goo in my flintlock that would clog up the touch hole. Works great for the rest of the gun. I use gun oil, Hoppe's or Remoil. Have yet to try try barricade but may give it a try when I run out of oil.

Actually, I've been using T/C-Ox-Yoke Bore Butter 1000+ since it was first introduced over 30 years ago, and still have zero rust on/in my muzzleloaders.

Please pass the potato chip's...….. :ghostly:

Any one of the products would work but I think did give the transmission fluid a try. Maybe out of curiosity.

After I am done cleaning the BP rifles I usually run a patch or two of the CVA rust preventer down the barrel prior to storage between shoots. Just wondering if there is an alternative to these? The last batch I bought weren't nearly as good as the older ones. As with everything anymore it seems the older versions are better. They had more "stuff" on them.

Looking for an alternative or to make my own but wondering what product would coat the barrel lightly enough to prevent any rust but not do any harm to the barrel. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.
Frontier's anti-rust and patch lube. Buckskins & Black Powder
You'll find the data on his blog site. You can get there from his website.

Actually, I've been using T/C-Ox-Yoke Bore Butter 1000+ since it was first introduced over 30 years ago, and still have zero rust on/in my muzzleloaders.

Please pass the potato chip's...….. :ghostly:
That's all I use on the bore, I do however use Barricade on the exterior surfaces.

NOT, I used to use it in the garage on painted tool stands and they rusted twice as fast. It also gums up and will freeze parts. I had a devil of a time making farmer's rifles work after they sprayed it in the bolts. It will not wash out so scrapers were needed. The firing pin would not move with a hammer. Never put in a lock!

Any reasonable mineral based oil or grease is fine. Lanolin is the only animal based substance I endorse. All veggie oils are inferior.

Latest posts

Back