• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alternate Trade Gun Designs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm quite a ways into my NW Trade Gun build (44" barrel) and now working on the ramrod install and, after two tries at drilling the hole in the stock with copious amounts of JB Weld Wood Filler applications in between after disastrous results o_O, I'm thinking the better part of valor is to go to a 1/2 stock style where I can use one good 18" bit without attaching a long extended shaft that wobbles everywhere but where it should. Yea...I could weld the shaft onto the bit but now I'm buying a $250 (cheepie) mig welder along with the other tools I've bought for the project.
So my question is was there ever a trade gun built with a 1/2 stock so I can at least make some reference to an actual gun? The only ones I've found have full stocks.
Thanks

I intentionally built wobble into my drill bit extension to act as a crude universal joint. Because a solid joint may have had a touch of bend in it. A fixed bend would have caused the bit to waller around as it was fed in.

It sounds like your ramrod channel guide/cap/drill bit retaining device is allowing your bit to move left, right, up and down. Causing your bit to wander.

I think drilling the belly of a full stock is infinitely easier than drilling a half stock. A full stock gives you a built-in guide for your drill. The ramrod channel.

If you go the half stock route, use the existing ramrod channel as your guide to drill the belly. Then cut off the part of the stock you don't want.

Don't just aim for the center of the belly and start drilling. That's asking for trouble. Cuzz you really need to focus on up, down, left and right while pushing the drill in.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So, I'm quite a ways into my NW Trade Gun build (44" barrel) and now working on the ramrod install and, after two tries at drilling the hole in the stock with copious amounts of JB Weld Wood Filler applications in between after disastrous results o_O, I'm thinking the better part of valor is to go to a 1/2 stock style where I can use one good 18" bit without attaching a long extended shaft that wobbles everywhere but where it should. Yea...I could weld the shaft onto the bit but now I'm buying a $250 (cheepie) mig welder along with the other tools I've bought for the project.
So my question is was there ever a trade gun built with a 1/2 stock so I can at least make some reference to an actual gun? The only ones I've found have full stocks.
Thanks
If the ramrod hole is giving you so many problems why not mill out the ramrod channel from under the barrel channel?

So once its milled out glue in a piece to cover the channel?

I think the problem I initially had was I used two pieces of pine as the top pressure pieces which the bit cut though more easily then angled up and through the surface...on try #2 I mistakenly used two pieces of oak (harder than the hackberry I am using for the stock) and the bit angled deeper into the channel. Hence the 1/2 stock question.

Would never of thought of it...think I will give it a go...thanks guys

ok...needs a bit of cleaning up but so far so good.
carved ramrod channel.jpg

Last edited:
I long ago went to milling out my ramrod channels rather than drilling them. It saves time and once finished looks like it was drilled.

This task alone seems so impossible to me that I have never seriously considered attempting. Good luck, Andy! By the way, I admire the heck out of your use of hackberry and hope you will share your final result with us.

Thanks
On many of the original trade guns we have had you will find very slim ramrod ends (end going in the stock). Have read in old documents that many carried an extra ram rod in the barrel that was beefier than the original. Biggest issue is remembering that extra ramrod, if shot out by mistake you remember the next time (talk about recoil) WOW. Have done that one only once (good memory).

On my (new reproduction) trade gun Doc White built he duplicated that slim end like the original, now we use a second ramrod for loading, cleaning, etc. Name of the game trying to duplicate what was done originally.

I missed that you're using Hackberry for this. The grain in that semi hardwood is some of the most contrary and obtuse stuff I've ever worked with to the point where it's almost not worth the headache to split it for firewood. Couldn't imagine making something like a stock out of it. Definitely props for pulling it off.

Back