• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Almost OOPS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my .36 Lehigh Poorboy to Winter Camp for the Texas Army out at Gunsmoke, Texas, where I do cowboy shooting.
I've already qualified, so I was helping with new shooters, and sneaking in a shot when I could. Lots of distractions, including off-and-on rain and drizzle.
So, in order, I:
1. Was about to dryball, but I paused with my short-starter in hand, decided to check for powder, and it was dry. Whew!
2. Loaded powder, patch, and ball, and was leaving the table to shoot, when I felt an odd rattling from my rifle. I looked at the muzzle and saw my ramrod sticking out of the barrel, just as a fellow shooter was about to tell me. It's good that we watch out for each other.
3. Did everything right, went to the firing line, primed the pan, and Klatch. I looked at my open frizzen, and decided to close it. It worked much better that way. I did this more than once. I blame the rain!

It was a great time making new Texas Army friends and seeing old friends from the Texas Historical Shooting Society.
My THSS friends really liked the rifle, and I let them shoulder it to see how the cast-off aligns the sights with you aiming eye, which was new to them.
My main take-away was that the rifle handles like a dream, and shoots better than I do.
I might have to do this again!

Took my Grandson out shooting this weekend. While paying close attention to him, I double loaded 3 times myself. "Opa, did you double load again?" after the big boom emanated from my rifle.

Man, if I had a day on the range like that, I would have been tempted to pack it in and go home:doh:

I'm glad the mis-fortune didn't overwhelm the good fortune, and you had a good day!

As reported in a prior post on this forum....in 2019 i went shootng and did not dryball.

Have yet to launch a ramrod and only double loaded once (I was not the poor soul to fire that one in a 12GA)

I almost did the same while shooting the monthly postal match target this month. I was loading for shot 6 and had the ball and patch sitting on the muzzle when i realised i didnt remember measuring the power charge. I dropped my ramrod down and sure enough it bounced off the breech face with a metalic clank. after adding powder I again dropped my rod down just to hear what a powder charge sounded and felt like... and filed that away for future reference.

Chris

Back