• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alloy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapPopper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know of what alloy power line insulator seats are? I've got several hundred pounds of them and they don't seem pure but aren't super hard either.....
16746812329866618033577688653699.jpg

At least I think that's what they are. If not maybe someone could Inform me otherwise

Those bands are slightly angled.

Looks like Acme threads.

What is the rusty red goop?
They have a steel core so it's rusty. Sort of annoying to melt down cause they are more steel than lead. I've got buckets of them that have sat outside for years. Got a bunch of other lead too but I know flashing and pipe are pure and the other big pieces are really hard.

If this is accurate that seems like an extremely high antimony content. Might make good smokeless rifle bullets but I'm doubting it's usefulness for BP stuff. Still so cheap I won't pass it up. Been thinking about a big BP/smokeless rifle of some kind anyways.
Screenshot_20230125_203807_Chrome.jpg

Also found a thread on castboolits saying g they are 97.7% lead, 1.9% antimony and .4% tin.... defi Italy not pure the ingots don't thud when dropped

I remember a column by the Bevel Brothers about shooting pure lead balls and I believe wheel weights. They found no difference in performance or accuracy. If I remember right.

I remember a column by the Bevel Brothers about shooting pure lead balls and I believe wheel weights. They found no difference in performance or accuracy. If I remember right.
I only tried wheel weight balls once and it wasn't a good experiment lol never tried them in my little gun and I don't figure the smoothbore is going to care much about alloy. I don't have the .50 anymore. Took my nephew out and let him shoot it. He loved it so much I gave it to him with a pound of powder and probably 300+ balls the ticking and bag with all the stuff that went with it. I'll try them cause there is so much of it. I got at least 100lbs of lead pipe in the deal too so Im Trying to talk dad I to buying a 45 mold for the 1911s... I bought the 30 cal mold and all the lead so far so iy just seems fair lol

Latest posts

Back