• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Allen Box Lock or English Rigby Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheppsan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has build Pecatonica Rivers Allen Box Lock or English Rigby Sporting rifle. Would be interested to hear any pros or cons to either and and special challenges with either build. I only target shoot and both look like they might be a fun project and nice to shoot on the range. As always, appreciate any inputs you might have.

I looked at those options a little while back and decided to go with the English style simply because I liked the lines better.

It was not an easy build for me as it was only my third build. The patent/hooked breech was tedious and I didn't get the trigger set up just right. On the other hand, the project was a good study in soldering with regards to the under rib and rod pipes. ( I added those 'cause at one time I thought I might hunt with it - I haven't yet...) There is also a drip rail that can be soldered to the barrel in front of the snail. I was able to get through the build part OK - with help from a friend who was pretty savvy about these things. He also did the checkering and engraving.

The rifle is .54 caliber - kinda long and heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3330.jpg
    IMG_3330.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 41
I have built two rifles with Pete's box lock action. One in .45 like you are interested in and the other .54 cal with a fast twist barrel for shooting conical.

I like the English Sporting Rifles' as well.

Fleener

Are the Pete Allen boxlock actions available?

I had one barreled, but changed my mind and sold or traded the action and wood. I much prefer the lines of an English Sporting Rifle whether it be Manton, Purdey, or Rigby.

They still have both listed on their website, so, at this point, I am assuming they are both available. Before you changed your mind, did you note any special challenges regarding the Allen project you had? Thanks for your input.

The boxlock action has tangs like a lever gun, but uses a throught bolt from the butt to secure the stock. The top tang would be handy for mounting a tang sight.

The forend is interesting because a tenon of wood fits into the fron of the action, but the forend needs secured to the barrel somehow. If you use a tenon and pin, it has to be close enough to the barrel to allow for a loading rod, IF you choose to have a loading rod under the barrel.....and then there is attaching an under rib, but that is also true of any halfstock.

I've become a hardcore flint guy, so prefer the simplicity of a full stock with flint lock.

Thanks for the extra info. Interesting, sounds like the butt stock is attached kinda like a Lee Enfield and the forend similar to a rolling block. Appreciate!!

Back