• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

All wood cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merdean

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a set of wheels 16" high. I want to build a NON-Shootable replica. What size of barrel would I have to have to appear in scale? I would be all wood turned on a lathe. Don't call me too many names. I want it for making the HOA to back offa little.

Two quickies are 16" for a M.1841 Mountain Howitzer and 20.5" for a 8-pound M.1857 Napoleon Field Gun. First thing is deciding which type gun you want to duplicate.

I built a full size 3" Ordnance Rifle for the kids with a 3" steel pipe for the bore. The pipe was one of those good ideas at the time. The kids were throwing lit M-80s down the muzzle within an hour of giving to them. Scared the hell out of the neighbors....and me.
Woody

I am looking for something the neighbors will comment on. I have no intentions of boreing out the barrel.

Not boring out the barrel is a good idea. When I made the kids I did not think they would do exactly what their father would have done (did).
Woody

CHUCKLE. = Given the general CRAZINESS of the "stunts" that kids of my generation routinely "pulled", I sometimes wonder how ANY of us "wild kids" survived.
(One of my boarding school chums of 1963 built a 8' long, solid-fuel, rocket out of an 8' piece of 4" aluminum pipe & some scrap aluminum sheet, at the school's chemistry lab. - While he was preparing it "for launch", it "prematurely went off" & "exited the roof" of the school at high speed "for regions unknown". = Lonnie's Dad "wasn't real happy" to have to "write a check" for repairing the damages to Old Main. - As far as I know, the "rocket" was never found.)

Full Disclosure: I helped build a huge catapult to throw CANTALOUPES & MELONS, in "boarding school DAZE". = It would fling the melons "clear outta sight".
(Otoh, I will NEVER admit being involved in the "fire-bombing" of another school's homecoming bonfire, from a rented Piper J-3. =====> To quote SGT Schulz of HOGAN'S HEROES, "I know nuffing".)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
(Otoh, I will NEVER admit being involved in the "fire-bombing" of another school's homecoming bonfire, from a rented Piper J-3. =====> To quote SGT Schulz of HOGAN'S HEROES, "I know nuffing".)
yours, satx
And don't think the Aggies have ever forgotten or forgiven you either! Unless you el kabonged somebody else's bonfire, in which case they've never forgotten or forgiven! :thumbsup:

I am slowly getting things together. I have wheels, some big blocks of wood to help build carriage. And now a 6X6 post 55" long for my barrel. Now to track down my friend with a lathe...

Back