• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

All Choked Up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbw907

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey To All, I am a newcomer to the forum and have been reading the topics and solutions offered and I realized that I was no longer alone in this fascination with the muzzleloading world. I have suffered in silence for a long while as there is no one around here who really is interested in it as I am. People at work are always scratching their heads as they walk by at lunch and I am busy on my latest project. When I explain what I am doing, I may as well be speaking Chinese. Just glad to be a part of it. I have learned something new every day that I log-on.Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of something that I truly love. Gotta go....sniff..sniff...all choked up... :redface:

Welcome to the board Shan. I'm lucky to work with a few folk who can appreciate guns and muzzleloaders and roll their eyes at my latest projects. "75 cal rifle! What you gonna kill with that?" "How much does it kick?" Great folks here. GC

Thanks for joining us! :)
As you might have noticed, there are a lot of people around here that will totally understand what your doing and they also speak English so communication won't be a problem. :grin:

Speaking of what your doing, What is your latest project (that no one there understands)?
Zonie :)

shantheman said:
Hey To All, I am a newcomer to the forum and have been reading the topics and solutions offered and I realized that I was no longer alone in this fascination with the muzzleloading world. I have suffered in silence for a long while as there is no one around here who really is interested in it as I am. People at work are always scratching their heads as they walk by at lunch and I am busy on my latest project. When I explain what I am doing, I may as well be speaking Chinese. Just glad to be a part of it. I have learned something new every day that I log-on.Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of something that I truly love. Gotta go....sniff..sniff...all choked up... :redface:
Welcome to the fire :grin: Most here, I'm sure can relate to your statement, I for one...
Ya ain't suffered, :nono: but "enjoyed" in silence.. :hatsoff:

You felt that relief/comfort too, huh?

I got people I work with who grin and nod, but I don't think much is sinking in....

Any questions... go ahead and ask. You get all kinds of thoughts and answers....

Legion

I know what you mean, I have many friends that I shoot other guns with that just cannot understand my love for the muzzleloaders...they kinda shake thier heads at me like I'm wacked.
While others that are new to shooting sports often times are amazed muzzleloaders still exist...fun ain't it
And Welcome, stick around learn and enjoy

Welcome. If your in the south Georgia area(around Valdosta) look up the Brushy Creek Muzzleloaders.
[url] http://www.brushycreekmuzzleloaders.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Shan,

From one newbe to another ,This place is great. What a bunch of great people there are here. I have had alot of good advice for people that really know there stuff.
Hey and in here we are normal :grin: and the other (Modern Shooters)are the odd ones) :hmm: For myself I think I was born a hundred years too late!

JIM1911

Zonie, some of the things that I have worked on at work and questioned about were engraving, making jaws for a barrel vise, making a trigger and a trigger guard, and inletting a blank stock on the milling machine. I know there are a ton of other things that raised eyebrows, but those are the ones that come to mind. All so far I have learned on my own through trial and error and now am glad to have connections on this forum. My project right now is a .45 cal.very unconventional Hawken style rifle. Forgive me if you do not agree with my thinking, but I wanted to experiment and build a rifle that was to my liking. It is not in any particular pattern because it has all homemade parts except the lock and barrel and it will not be used for anything except shooting around here in the woods and maybe a coyote or three.And at least one deer.I really like your answers that you give folks. You seem to have much wisdom and experience and are not quick to criticize and belittle. I learned a long time ago that even the simplest of people can teach you at least one thing that you may not have ever known. I am at your feet, so teach on!!!!Shannon fron Buchanan :bow:

("...I am at your feet...")Oh boy! You don't want to be there!!
When I had a dog, even he didn't want to be there (although he did try to roll on them once). In fact, he often would emit some matching oders and then roll his eyes around to see if you noticed.
Whooooeeeeee! Talk about bringing tears to your eyes!! :rotf: :grin: :rotf:

Sense your in a shop environment, I really am amazed that the other folks aren't interested in what your doing.
Hell, I worked in a Engineering department full of all of those geekey people who carried around text books and slide rules at school and most of them were interested in my gun projects. At least they said they were interested. :hmm:

Well, as I said, Welcome to you (and all of those other new people who are reading this).

Oh! Another thing. Just between you and me, it is safest to say "I'm building a Plains Rifle" around here. Some of our members might tell ole Sam Hawken his gun isn't a "Hawken" because the forward barrel key is too far forward :grin: :grin: (Hay you guys! I'm just joking...PUT ME DOWN!....ARRRRGH.) THUD.

"Forgive me if you do not agree with my thinking, but I wanted to experiment and build a rifle that was to my liking. "

Obviously, you haven't seen some of 'ole Zonie's creations.
:rotf:

Lets leave ole Zonies guns out of this. :grin:

"Forgive me if you do not agree with my thinking, but I wanted to experiment and build a rifle that was to my liking. "

I totally agree with you.
Building a gun that is exactly what you want is a great idea. In fact, that is exactly the reason I do not try to "copy" existing guns.

I do use photos of existing guns to learn what charactistics the varioius "schools" of Pennsylvania rifles have and base my guns on those but they are not reproductions of "a" particular gun. I think creating an exact reproduction removes any chanch for creativity, but then, that's just my opinion. I know many on this Forum who enjoy trying to create exact duplicates and for them, I think that's great too. :)

For most of us here, this is just a Hobby and Hobbys are supposed to be enjoyable fun. :)

Back