• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

alert! #10 caps, free hazmat at natchez

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A number of years ago NY state attempted to get individuals to voluntarily report their internet purchases that they did not pay sales tax on so that tax could be collected when you filed your state income taxes. That didn't pan out to well. I believe that a group of states banded together and sued the big online market places about this topic. The online markets fought it initially but it ended up in Court and it was determined that the states were due the sales tax. When buying on ebay, you have been paying sales tax for many years. Then the states went after other markets. Again it was determined that the states were due the sales tax. Now Gunbroker and most large online retailers collect the tax as it is cheaper and easier to risk annoying purchasers than to face the wrath of states with deep pockets and huge teams of lawyers whose only job is to go after companies not sending them tax money. There are still a few retailers out there that don't collect but they are far and few between.
MY only wonder is whether my home county actually receives their portion or if the state keeps it all.

Woody

I wonder about that also. We travel in the summer to reenactments etc. Didn't pay much attention to sales tax in the past but with everyone wanting to use some kind of plastic money it has become to easy for states to monitor who is selling what
All of us internet shoppers have really amplified that situation. Any way when I have to fill out Sales tax forms for different states I also wonder if the county I am filing for gets any of the money. Cash is still King

I try my best to use it for all important purchases. As long as I can.
Me too but once in a while, the freaking business has no cash for change! One time at Home Depot I was paying with cash but had to wait for a clerk to bring cash to the register to make change.😯

Me too but once in a while, the freaking business has no cash for change! One time at Home Depot I was paying with cash but had to wait for a clerk to bring cash to the register to make change.😯
Yep, seen that too. And sometimes I go through lazy spells and pay with plastic, always feel bad about it. I well remember when the self service gas - pay at the pump started. I thought who is going to put gas on a credit card? And also when grocery stores started taking credit cards, I was stunned. Now they look at you funny if you pay cash. Now it was different when individual stores and gas companies had their own cards. Anyway, enough of my ramblings.

No one likes taxes but Governments. The issue is that your local retailer has to collect taxes---but the things bought online were
tax free. That would be unfair to the little guy running a local business who is struggling to survive against the already substantial big online retailers. I do not like the online taxes,
but it probably is the fairest thing---Constitutional or not.

I just ordered 45K caps and that was all they had. now nobody else can get any cause I am smarter then those guys 😁

As far as I know most private sales in Washington State are tax exempt, there are exceptions such as vehicles and the like. So what hacks me is if I buy from private party on Gunbroker I end up paying 10%+ sales tax I wouldn't pay if I bought straight from a private party locally.

Back