• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Alcohol wipes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make my own for use in freezing weather from cotton cloth cut into strips and stored in a pill bottle with a slot cut into the lid.

I buy what they call alcohol prep pads at my local Weis market at $2 per 100. They are individually wrapped and perfect for what I use them for which is wiping the frizzen and flint on occasion. But if you use them to swab the barrel they wouldn't be big enough for that.

I use cotton flannel patches cut from old flannel shirts and a small spouted bottle filled with de-natured alcohol for swabbing the bore and cleaning the frizzen & pan. A quart can of de-natured alcohol will last a long time and be cheaper than buying the wipes. I'm just a skin flint at heart, maybe that is why I shoot flint locks.

I use recycled cleaning patches that I use when cleaning my rifles (the ones that are black get tossed) and let them dry. Use a small misting spray bottle fill it with alcohol and spray the patches. DANNY

I just use my thumb. Really. Wipe the frozen, wipe the top and bottom of the flint. Every shot. Works. No, the oil from my hand does not cause the gun to melt down or not work. Wipe it on your pants -- your wife will wash them for you.

I use a pill bottle with q tips. Pour a little alocohol in the bottom and the q tips become saturated both sides. Works pretty good.

In the auto section of the store is Isoheet. It is 99% isopropyl alcohol. Keep some on my bench for many different things. Before going to the range/on the hunt I wipe my frizzen and pan. While shooting usually use my shirt to wipe the frizzen. :dunno:

Don

Don. I use 100% isopropyl for wiping my barrel as well as the frizzen and flint before I shoot and as a spray on a 2x4 ex army cleaning cloth patch to wipe the flint, pan and frizzen between shots
Dunc

Back