• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alcohol in bore maintenance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the 91% rubbing alcohol. That tiny bit of water isn't enough to make a difference on the water displacement and I want the alcohol to dissolve the remaining lubricating oils in the barrel.

I was using 91% alcohol. These days I'm lazy, I just spray some CRC brake cleaner through the nipple hole and call it good. Haven't had a bit of problems.

There are so many things that work, people overlook the obvious.....

DILIGENCE !

A carefully cleaned, inspected, and preserved gun will present no problems regardless of what one uses....Some products offer a little more forgiveness for the less diligent than others...But! None are fool proof.

The moment you get lazy or careless, Rust or a misfire will rear it's ugly head.

I've never put a drop of alcohol on my guns, don't plan to ever do so. I've never understood the need, the apparently urgent need, so many people feel to use the stuff. For instance, one reason frequently given is to remove all traces of the oil used to protect the bore from rust before loading. Why would I want to do that? What problems can that protective layer of oil possibly create? Regardless of the particular load I'm using any given day, at some point in the loading sequence I always run a lubricated patch or wad down the bore, leaving a thin layer of lubricant/oil on the bore. Why wouldn't that layer cause the same problems the protective layer would? What could make a bare metal bore better for accuracy than one with a little lube?

You shooters who remove all the protective layer of oil from the bore before loading, do you also avoid all oil/lube in the bore by using nothing but dry patches and wads in loading?

Spence

George said:
You shooters who remove all the protective layer of oil from the bore before loading, do you also avoid all oil/lube in the bore by using nothing but dry patches and wads in loading?

Spence

I run a patch down the barrel before loading to ensure nothing has crawled in the barrel. Alcohol, a wonderful solvent ensures that the flame channel is free of oil and obstructions on my patent breech guns. They like to collect oil. the alcohol dries quickly and does not interfere with ignition.

Colorado Clyde said:
Alcohol, a wonderful solvent ensures that the flame channel is free of oil and obstructions on my patent breech guns.
So, you pour alcohol down bore so that it can run through the patent breech? Must be so, because I don't understand how a cleaning patch dampened with alcohol on a jag could clear the breech channel.

Spence

To anyone who posted, doesn't anyone run a dry patch down the bore, snap a cap, load and fire?
I have used this method a long time with no problems. Seems really simple to me.

Michael

I used to do that, and I have had misfires from the oily leftovers in my breech. (I have the patent breech or something similar) BUT! I freely admit I over oil my bore and leave it sitting upright to deliberately have oil collected in that breech because I cant get a patch into it to ensure its clean.

I flush when cleaning but I'm a bit paranoid about rust so I over apply the gun oil and clean it out before use. Seems a great way to ensure I don't have a rust issue no matter how long I store my rifle.

meanmike said:
To anyone who posted, doesn't anyone run a dry patch down the bore, snap a cap, load and fire?
I have used this method a long time with no problems. Seems really simple to me.

Michael

I use to do it that way, but since the caps have become a lot more pricey and harder to get I use alcohol instead.

George said:
I've never put a drop of alcohol on my guns, don't plan to ever do so. I've never understood the need, the apparently urgent need, so many people feel to use the stuff. For instance, one reason frequently given is to remove all traces of the oil used to protect the bore from rust before loading. Why would I want to do that? What problems can that protective layer of oil possibly create? Regardless of the particular load I'm using any given day, at some point in the loading sequence I always run a lubricated patch or wad down the bore, leaving a thin layer of lubricant/oil on the bore. Why wouldn't that layer cause the same problems the protective layer would? What could make a bare metal bore better for accuracy than one with a little lube?

Spence

I think for most folks who do that, the main focus is on removing petroleum-based oil from their bore. The concern is that the petroleum product creates a nasty mess in the bore as opposed to natural lubes we all use for shooting. I've used natural grease for short-term storage before but I always use a good gun oil (breakfree, etc.) which I always remove before shooting with alcohol. I doubt trace amounts cause issues, but I prefer to get it all out anyways.

I stored my flintlock with a freshly greased patch on a jag and obviously still on the ramrod, left in the breech for over a year. I removed it, Swabbed with a clean patch and fired like normal. No misfires and the gun drove tacks.

Latest posts

Back