• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alafia River Vous

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Does any of the members here go. A few of us Ancient Ones Of Maine are making the road trip in January.
Do they have rifle and smooth bore walks? Hawk and knife walks?
Whats the weather like( I know, better than Maine)?
Any other info or recommendations would be welcome.
Thanks
Nit Wit

Nit Wit said:
Does any of the members here go. A few of us Ancient Ones Of Maine are making the road trip in January.
Do they have rifle and smooth bore walks? Hawk and knife walks?
Whats the weather like( I know, better than Maine)?
Any other info or recommendations would be welcome.
Thanks
Nit Wit

3rd year for me. They do have a woods walk that usually they will tell you to bring a knife and hawk on it. They also have a hawk and knife area, trade gun shots etc. The weather, well last year every single day hit 80 plus. The 2016 year they had a tornadotouch down not 3 miles off. It can and does get coldsome down there. Not like you are used to.
http://www.floridafrontiersmen.com/index

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not posting this independently to gripe about them, but you asked. I live in Florida. I'm about 2 hours away from their grounds, and won't go over there again.
Historically...their rules tended to be "flexible", especially in cases where a little bending will put one of their members ahead of someone who isn't one of their club members.
In the interest of full disclosure, I have been told that there's some new folks involved in running things and it's going to improve.
I hope so. I've been there once....once. It's a great facility in a great location in Central Florida. As pointed out already, at that time of year you're subject to have a VERY wide variety of weather from 80's down to 30's. Dry and gorgeous to gray and wet. Windy...?? Yup....or not. You never know.
Welcome to Paradise...!!! :hatsoff:

I don't know about that stuff, not a member. I go to hang out with friends and just have a good time. Last year was a school day and one public day.

I've been a couple times as a spectator only.

Great lay out and a large rondy. Lots of Vendors.

I've heard they have some screwy rules about how things are ran on the firing line.

I don't recall the particulars of the event but as best as I recall it had something to do with shooting from your bag vs a range box..... powder location at the firing line or something.

I read somewhere it is the largest rondy East of the Mississippi.

Seems like the public was allowed on the first three days, Fri,Sat,& Sun. It seems like the shooting events were limited for the first week end.

That could be because of all the spectators.

I do remember seeing Wick Ellerbe at the event. He could possibly give you some more info on the details.

I live around Orlando, been a couple of times. As stated, there is a wide umbrella but it is a big event with a lot going on and I think you would enjoy it. Plenty to see and do. It is open with no mosquitoes, etc. Very good place. When I want to be 100% pc I trek.

I've been the last 6 years,,had fun everytime,,gun ranges tues - friday...25-50-100 paper,trade gun match ,primitive match,...woodswalk is tues -fri..rifle-pistol..no idea why no smoothbore woodswalk,but you can shoot against rifle if ya want ...claybirds 1 day...hawk and knife 3 days I believe,,, archery woodswalk 3-4 days 20 shots, nice course usually have a 25 yd gun target tues -fri top 3 scores each day shoot off sat for a gun..range is safety! they mean it.....everything color coded..ie yellow loading bench,yellow shoot station yellow target backer..(make sure you go early tuesday you must read the rules an sign in,,the ones runnin it are actually pretty good... but after a few years ya learn lol..I did, so there's hope for you...even quicker..most important I think is go to have fun the awards aren't worth any stress..you can have fun with a small group..weather is everything..I've froze baked drowned an got nearly blown away with the tornado but always had a great time,,,,buy BUY red ant killer powder..walmart down there has it as do hardware stores,,put in down before you set up tent..
never leave the vous without your medallion and ID...OR you won't get back in..especially at nite!. all I can think of right now....have fun! and know by 4 pm sunday you best be outa there...lol be safe!

Rented the van today! We will have an Ancient Ones Of Maine canvas banner in front of our camp. Stop in and chew the fat!
Nit Wit

As one of The Ancient Ones of Maine to make the trip I thank all who stopped by our camp to make us welcome. Miserable traveling all the way down but we did get to see what may be North Carolina's only plow/sand truck. We had a great time and did not disgrace Maine with our shooting. 2nd in pistol woodswalk, 5th out of 52 in rifle woodswalk, and 3 hits out of 5 shots at 200 yds. in a strong wind. Visitors days were crowded but mostly in Traders Row which was good for them. Hope to see some of these campers in Maine this year for the Northeastern.

Back