• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

airgun pellets for MLs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2bp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hit the outdoor store where I got my .54 on a deal (he didn't know anything about it, was just getting into pawn stuff too) to check out what else they had, and noticed they were heavy on PCP air rifles.... then noticed the pellets for said rifles at the ammo shelf. I was intrigued by the .308" 120gr hollow point (for my .300bo bolt gun and subsonics) but just looked at the company's website, and they have stuff "we" (yeah, you and me) may be able to use in the front stuffers....

https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com
The .40 stuff is OOS/empty on the website, but the .45 stuff goes from 196gr to 400gr...

1663508510117.png

Going to drop 'em an email and ask about actual dimensions (length etc) on the smaller .45 stuff to see if I could maybe use it in my 1858... and swing back by the store I was at to check out the .50 stuff they had in stock but I think it was actually .510" so not for my friends .50 CVA either... though the website does list .495 and .498 ....

Hit the outdoor store where I got my .54 on a deal (he didn't know anything about it, was just getting into pawn stuff too) to check out what else they had, and noticed they were heavy on PCP air rifles.... then noticed the pellets for said rifles at the ammo shelf. I was intrigued by the .308" 120gr hollow point (for my .300bo bolt gun and subsonics) but just looked at the company's website, and they have stuff "we" (yeah, you and me) may be able to use in the front stuffers....

The .40 stuff is OOS/empty on the website, but the .45 stuff goes from 196gr to 400gr...

View attachment 163031

Going to drop 'em an email and ask about actual dimensions (length etc) on the smaller .45 stuff to see if I could maybe use it in my 1858... and swing back by the store I was at to check out the .50 stuff they had in stock but I think it was actually .510" so not for my friends .50 CVA either... though the website does list .495 and .498 ....
Cool man, TY for the post. As I've told ya, I'm already into shooting pure lead cast conicals for big bore air rifles in my sidelock. But thanks to you, I now have more than one resource for my bullet options to choose from. Thats always a big plus for me. I am thinking about trying out a little harder alloy conicals like 30:1 & 20:1. I may just order some of both online & have it sent to the guy I got my bullets from & have him make me 50-100 of each bullet I want to test & go from there. I don't use any " traditional lubes " on my conicals & this spray on lube is all new to me. The harder alloy bullets will depend on any leading issues from this lube method on these pure lead bullets goes.

I have a small bore (.224) BP rifle that I made up out of an old .22 RF barrel. I use the gun for teaching muzzle loader safety to the youth group in our club. I was using .220 lead balls for air rifles with a patch, but handling those tiny balls with a patch was difficult at best. I found some .224 air rifle slugs on line (30 grain hollow points with a cupped base) that i now use. I put a smear (scientific measurement?) of mink oil lube in the cupped base and seat the slug over 5 grains of 4f. Accuracy is dime sized at 25 yards, and the slug will penetrate a 3/4" pine board at that range. I plan to take the gun out and try for some squirrels. Could be fun.

I had a friend who made a rifle using an old 22 barrel and he shot standard 22 caliber pellets, using eight grain FFF . He put a mixture of lard and beeswax on the pellets, and used corn meal between the powder and pellet.It was deadly on rabbits.

A shooter I know built a .22 caliber flintlock. He shoots .22 cal pellets for great accuracy.
I tried to use .22 pellets, but the skirts were coming off and lodging in the barrel. Had a heck of a time removing them. I don't know how your friend can use 8 grains of powder and not have the same problem. Maybe because it is a flint lock and some of the pressure bleeds out the touch hole.

View attachment 163031

I know a guy that ordered some and tried them in a 58, he said they were a pain to load. Had to take the cylinder out and use a mallet to get them loaded. They aren’t pure lead and are pretty hard. He shot some different mediums with them and said he never had one expand (they were hollow points). There are several options for conicals out there that load easy for the same result in expansion. In a rifle they may be better suited.

This thread just gave me an idea for using that 12ga shotgun barrel I picked up for the New Englander. Any reason one couldn't use airgun BBs for shot??

This thread just gave me an idea for using that 12ga shotgun barrel I picked up for the New Englander. Any reason one couldn't use airgun BBs for shot??
Regular BBs like for a Red Ryder? No, they are steel/harder iron and copper washed/plated, way too hard for what you want. If you need no-lead shot, grafs has it for what appears to be cheap ($2/lb)

, and they have stuff "we" (yeah, you and me) may be able to use in the front stuffers....
Honestly,,?
If that worked well,
,we'd have all been on it for a decade or more and sharing that info with everyone.
It would create a new market!
Guess what,,,, those are made for air guns.

Theres not a thing wrong with using 30:1 or 20:1 conicals. Just getting them sized to fit right is most ppls issue. They still obturate just fine even with real black..... NOT " holy black " just real black lol
You're thinking TIN not Antimony. They are completely different.

Thank you for the correction
Tin is often used in muzzleloading/black powder bullets because it helps "flow" better in a mold without causing too much hardness in the lead. Antimony and Lino alloy are used in unmentionables to harden the alloy.

Back