• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ain't gonna take it any longer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hall of Shame for poor businesses?

• Yes

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 88.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SchwartzStock

32 Cal
Reaction score
First I am NOT proposing a boycott.

I am proposing we start a thread on every pro-gun forum listing the companies that have become difficult to work with Like Dixie, Jedediah Starr, etc. Also to the positive side list those who are trying hard to support the community. Not sure exactly the format of the thread but something in the sticky notes so it doesn't disappear if no entries are made.

What says you?

SS

Businesses of all kinds are having problems brought on by Covid-19. Broken supply chains, lack of personnel, and imposed restrictions are all causing issues of their own. The firearm industry in particular is having all of those problems during a time of unprecedented demand.

I'm confident that the vast majority of suppliers are doing their dead level best to serve customers. Immortalizing anecdotal issues with a Hall of Shame thread isn't going to help anyone or change anything. Doing so could also cause permanent damage to our very small and already tenuous niche market.

Given current societal problems and divisions, it seems pretty obvious to me that we should be standing strong, together, and supporting these business instead of directing fire their way. While it might be time to draw the line in the sand, we must make sure to stand on the right side of it.

We are looking at a minimum of 2-4 more years to full recovery provided that the situation isn't exacerbated further by regulatory or legislative burdens.

Businesses of all kinds are having problems brought on by Covid-19. Broken supply chains, lack of personnel, and imposed restrictions are all causing issues of their own. The firearm industry in particular is having all of those problems during a time of unprecedented demand.

I'm confident that the vast majority of suppliers are doing their dead level best to serve customers. Immortalizing anecdotal issues with a Hall of Shame thread isn't going to help anyone or change anything. Doing so could also cause permanent damage to our very small and already tenuous niche market.

Given current societal problems and divisions, it seems pretty obvious to me that we should be standing strong, together, and supporting these business instead of directing fire their way. While it might be time to draw the line in the sand, we must make sure to stand on the right side of it.

We are looking at a minimum of 2-4 more years to full recovery provided that the situation isn't exacerbated further by regulatory or legislative burdens.

Ok, I get it. You don't have a dog in this fight so you want everyone else to shut up. Don't say anything bad about a company providing poor workmanship like TVM because the rifle you got from them that is ok in your eye and you personally are not waiting on something. Substandard in service or product is ok, No criticism right? Blame it all on covid; last I knew, covid has nothing to do with answering email or phones.

Last edited:
It does when they loose the people that answered the phones and emails. Directly, or indirectly, like having to stay home with the kids because school and daycare shut down.
One of the seed suppliers up here in Maine cant get anybody to work the phones this year. Response was down to 2 weeks. When I finally got through they asked me if I wanted to come in and help.

Ok, I get it. You don't have a dog in this fight so you want everyone else to shut up. Don't say anything bad about a company providing poor workmanship like TVM because the rifle you got from them that is ok in your eye and you personally are not waiting on something. Substandard in service or product is ok, No criticism right? Blame it all on covid; last I knew, covid has nothing to do with answering email or phones.

No, he was saying that everyone is going through all sorts of unpleasantness right now and that we need to cut people some slack. If these were "normal" times and a certain company had horrible customer service and/or was selling subpar products on a regular basis, then fine, call them out; however, the current situation has made things way harder on everyone and not every company has the resources to handle things equally, so creating a Hall of Shame in this current climate is unfair and counterproductive.

Believe me, I totally get that people are frustrated and pi##ed off. We're all on edge right now to one degree or another, but grabbing up the torches and pitchforks is very rarely the way to fix things and usually does more harm than good.

I am having trouble with all suppliers. I don't mean just gun related every thing. Meds, home improvement, car parts, some foods, ect. You are lucky if gun parts are the only things that are hard to get, Some places are having more trouble than others depending on their size and type of product they sell.
Every thing from raw materials on up to finished goods take a hit when the worlds work force gets hit with a biological weapon. Lets not beat around the bush that is what Covid is. People don't want to go to work when they have a high percentage chance of catching something that will kill them or when the government pays them more to stay home than they make working.
Giving them a bad rep. now will only eliminate another good supplier in our sport that has only a few to start out with.

Hanging up on a caller doesn't cut it with me. I never got to speak to anyone about the problem, never had a chance to be rude.

SS

It does when they loose the people that answered the phones and emails. Directly, or indirectly, like having to stay home with the kids because school and daycare shut down.
One of the seed suppliers up here in Maine cant get anybody to work the phones this year. Response was down to 2 weeks. When I finally got through they asked me if I wanted to come in and help.
Belfast . . . the family farm in North Brooksville . . . Penobscot Bay. I wish I was back there! Just trying to diffuse the disparagement one chap seems determined to enact. Forty_caliber, you & others so aptly illustrated the current situation. I needn't say much more except to compliment all of you on your insight & patience. Thank you. Imagine: being asked as you were to come in to assist! That in itself says volumes.

I was in business 'bout 50 years. After working in small business for about 8 years , the job changed to handling money spent by folks w/deep pockets buying very expensive equipment . My employer then sent me to 6 months of management training . There I learned a very key chunk of information , those folks w/o people skills are classed among the handicapped. If they can be schooled out of such a position , all the better. However , there are so few possessing good people skills , if you don't employ them , you have too few employees to get work done. This is a double edged sword as everyone has a breaking point. Even the best employees "break" when they are overwhelmed for very long periods of time. This chinese virus has put everyone to the breaking point. I know it's trying , and difficult , but we're all in this together. Step back , get creative , and give everyone a break. Be kind. W/o the virus , the vast majority of business folks would bust their as#e# to honestly take your money to supply what you need. Been there , done that.....................oldwood

Agreed that the situation sucks, but if it weren't for Dixie, I wouldn't have any commercial caps. I'm also glad for the alternative caps that I was able to get from 22 re-loader too. Both took a month to get to me. Yes it's frustrating, but I'll reserve judgement for now. I just got back into the hobby in January and about a third of my supplies came from my pop who has drifted away from civil war re-enactment and doesn't need his stuff. I'm glad I got started when I did because it's worse now than it was 2 months ago, I don't see really any options for powder or caps.

Really? You actually came up with that scenario? Pretty sure I see where your problem emanates from and it's an all too common, all to human reaction to frustration and anger. You're not alone, we've all been there, step back, take a deep breath, count to ten then you can look at the problem rationally.

Last edited:
As stated now is not the time to bad mouth the business that supports our hobby, sure it is frustrating but think back 2-3 years ago when most of those vendors served us well, times are tough and going to get a lot tougher, step back take a deep breath and wait it will come, for instance I ordered un-mentionable brass even talked to the business on the phone to be sure it was in stock the guy told me yes he had it but it would take a while to get it in the mail as he lost the majority of the folks he employed for reasons as stated in other responses here, 24 days the brass showed up, the vendor was up front about his situation I knew going in the situations and will buy from him again.

This isn't bad, Bad is only being able to get 5 gallons of gas a week, being on meat rations, tires are un-obtainable, as were shoes, clothes, books, any kind of new firearms and ammo.

Both my parents lived thru that from 1942 thru 1945. Dad said you didn't see new guns until 1944, and boxes of ammo were broken open and sold one at a time.

I know we live in an instant gratification world, used to using amazon prime and getting things the next day, but for the time being those days are over.

Once again, I am not proposing a boycott of these companies. I for one would like to know if I place an order with a company whether or not I can ever reach them again after they have my money in their account.

SS

The last order I put in to Dixie my cc was not billed until the day the item was shipped. That was 4 weeks from the date of order. As far as not being able to reach them through email or phone calls that is annoying. I have no idea how many people work there but 4 weeks from order to shipping tells me they are beyond busy. They state on their web site there will be a delay if a person can't wait then the best bet is seek other suppliers.
What would you do if it was your business take the person answering the phones an email and put them in shipping or let all their customers wait longer because a few customers have no patience. They could shut down their web site until the back log is cleared up. Hey here's an idea they could work 24/7 till they drop that may clear out the back log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back