• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Aiming Vs Pointing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was shooting smoothies I never got the hang of accurate shooting at a still target. Sometimes my shots would group but not where I wanted them to. However, my instincts seemed to kick in when shooting flying targets like clay pigeons. I did quite well. I would cover the target with the front of the barrel then fire. I know that does not use the recommended 'lead' method but it worked for me.

If / when a shotgun/smooth bore fits you correctly then both the aimed shot and the quick mounted shot are to the same point on the target :thumb: ;):ThankYou:

If / when a shotgun/smooth bore fits you correctly then both the aimed shot and the quick mounted shot are to the same point on the target :thumb: ;):ThankYou:
Gun fit is one of the most important things in shotguns and among the least discussed and understood. If you were to commission a "London Best" the maker would measure you as painstakingly as would a custom tailor fitting you for a suit.

Use careful "aiming" to sight in or pattern, being careful to "do" all things correctly - welding cheek to stock, focus on front sight, breath control, trigger squeeze, follow through, etc. Repeat.

On "flying" targets (even fast running targets), properly mounted with a good weld of cheek to stock, focus on the target. The front sight will be in your field of vision, but the bird or rabbit is what you should focus on. Once you've determined what the trajectory of the target will be, start behind the target, choose the appropriate "lead" and pull the trigger. Don't stop your swing and follow through. Wait for smoke to clear.

Without a rear sight, your eye is the rear sight - which is why a consistent cheek weld and mount are important. Keep both eyes open or you lose depth of field. Dominant eye will naturally "take over". Practice ...often.

Throughout history, there have been all sorts of gimmicks and sight combinations to make "shooting flying" easier. Serious practice is best.

Years ago, the "quick skill/quick kill" training method enabled shooters to consistently hit aspirin tablets in the air with BB guns void of sights. As always, my post is too long. Sorry about that.
on this one unmentionable rifle the rear sight got removed and scope added , then later scope removed, but cant find that rear sight, so had old scope rings, mounted a pair of them for future scope but when you look through the hole of the rings you see clearly the front sight and centering that will get you a bullseye. so now that rifle has a decent reflex sighting device,

A way to check gun fit is to shoulder the weapon with your eyes closed, so that it is most comfortable and natural in your shoulder and face on the stock. Then open your eyes and see if the gun is lined up. Do this a couple times as a rough test. If the line of site is off, you can change the way you mount the gun or you can adjust the gun.

Here are the different adjustments that can be made for fit. It shows a modern gun, but should apply to MLs as well, though depending on the gun more or less of the adjustments may be easily doable.

https://savagearms.com/blog?p=how-to-find-the-perfect-shotgun-fit-with-renegauge
on my gun had to add an extra rubber buttpad , the inch really helped bring everything into perfect line, it was too short for me till i did that.

When patterning, it rarely matters whether one points or aims. But I prefer to aim. I'm testing the gun, not me.

When hunting, point. Aiming often results in shooting behind the target as the eye shifts from the target to the bead & then follow through stops.

well when i could see , i would sweep the rifle in the same direction as the target at the speed of the target, and lead it a certain amount depending on how fast the target is going and then i would fire, but that is neither pointing or aiming its letting the target run into the lead on a path that neither had a point of aim nor was i pointed at the target, ahead of the target and dropping back tward the target i pulled triger when it felt good and right, . today the hunt is different so i wont talk about today, needless to say , i get a disabled super combo license, just renewed.
its a wonder all those tags and documents all on a folded paper card.

Back