Aiming a Brown Bess?

Discussion in 'Smoothbore' started by Griz44Mag, Apr 1, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. Apr 15, 2019 at 3:56 AM #61

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Good shooting, rest or off hand or both

2. Apr 15, 2019 at 5:22 AM #62

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Gave it a few rounds of both. The Bess is a long handful of gun for sure.... The men who carried them as soldiers had to be some tough hombres...

Juice Jaws likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2019 at 11:43 AM #63

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

FlinterNick

40 Cal

Part of the issue with adding a rear sight to a Brown Bess is that the breeches are not thicken enough to take a dovetail. Its possible on the pedersoli and Colraine barrels you could do a shallow dovetail and reducing the sight base but then you risk a very weak dovetail. The best way to add the rear sight I think to silver solder a sight.

I agree with the accuracy, you’re looking at 25-50 yards, the accuracy depends on how the round is loaded. Paper cartridges tend to be less accurate that patched round balls.

4. Apr 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM #64

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

For the purpose of me getting acquanted with the rock lock world and sighting in - load development, I took a buckhorn from my used parts box and ground the bottom off until the height was an identical match to the front lug. I used a light smear of epoxy and glued it to the barrel just ahead of the breech plug. It seems to be firmly attached and and has made it through 2 range sessions so far. When it's time to remove it, a little heat will break the bond. With 80gr 2f it hits a few inches high. With the buckhorn it's really easy to compensate height. This has been a really fun to shoot gun to shoot and draws a lot of attention t our range where white smoke is rarely seen by most members.

Britsmoothy likes this.
  5. Apr 17, 2019 at 5:26 PM #65

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

Silver solder is the way to go. Nothing wrong with epoxy for target work and experimentation. In fact, for working up best accuracy, a temp glued on sight would take all the human error out, which would be good, even if you planned to take the sight off when done with load development. JB weld might even last forever, but of course it would come off just before you came upon that big buck, giant elk, or 600 pound black bear, at the very limit of your range. !!!

6. Apr 17, 2019 at 5:30 PM #66

Canute Rex

Canute Rex

Canute Rex

40 Cal.

Well done! Where was your point of aim?

7. Apr 17, 2019 at 6:46 PM #67

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Holding the crown of the bayonet lug about a quarter way up in the buckhorn. (At 25 yards) Weather permitting this weekend, I will mount a full size man silhouette at 100 yards and see just how frustrated the Brits were at trying to hit those dang Colonials that were picking off their officers from farther than they could shoot back!

Britsmoothy likes this.