• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aim point for squirrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Timer 48 said:
For squirrels do you fellows aim center or do you use the 6 o'clock hold?
It doesn't matter what your shooting at,,
If your rifle is zeroed for a 6 o`clock hold then use it.
If your rifle is zeroed for a center hold then do that.

Actually, the gun I use the most for squirrels is a 12 o'clock hold....This gives me some "wiggle" room when angle or distance increases....and I aim for the head....

I aim for the head, and my rifles are sighted in for point of impact at the tip of the sight. I don't take manure shots and can't see a squirrel head in the woods far enough for elevation to matter.

Head shots on squirrels are fine as long as you can surely hit them right and not have the ball glance off. I prefer shoulder shots so as to break down the front shoulder and slow them a bit. A heart/lung shot is good but they have been known to maul the hunter before they give out. A big carnivorous squirrel can be hard to stop if the first shot isn't solid. So I recommend breaking the shoulder down as this will give one time enough to reload for the heart/lung shot. :rotf:

The top of the front blade is centered on the middle of the squirrel's head. Have never shot below the neck and have "grazed" the tops of quite a few heads which is a killing shot. I like 6 pcs of meat from every squirrel, so head shots are only taken......Fred

Does anyone actually set a hunting gun up for a six o'clock hold? Why?

Spence

Have never shot below the neck and have "grazed" the tops of quite a few heads which is a killing shot.
That's why I like using a .45 on squirrels...if you touch it, it dies.....Grazing shots kill.

Now "barking" a squirrel is another matter all together... :td:

I used to do a lot of squirrel hunting with a .54 Renegade. I had a 42 gr FFg load (what an empty .45 Colt case holds) and that was dead on at 25 yards without changing my sights from the 90 gr FFg load I used for deer that was zeroed at 100 yards.

I aimed for the eye and sometimes missed and just hit them in the head. ;-)

A few yrs back I was sitting and waiting for a gray to show itself and after 10 mins saw a large fox squirrel on the ground approx. 40 yds away. It finally "stood up" and I held a little above its head and fired. Couldn't see what happened to it so went down for a look. After seeing that it wasn't lying on the leaves, just happened to look into a low lying , hollowed out stump and on the bottom was the squirrel, still breathing. A furrow was evident on the top of its head. Killed it w/ the gun butt and went back to wait for the first squirrel...which I got after a 10 min wait......Fred

George said:

Spence

I do..... to see the whole squirrel head..due to aging eyesight.also use a low back of breach plug peep.

George said:

Spence
Only if I shoot at the exact same distance and angle every time....

Otherwise you will shoot low due to an increase in angular distance and trajectory.

The absolute center of an object never changes....

colorado clyde said:
Only if I shoot at the exact same distance and angle every time....
That's why I specified a hunting gun. A six-o'clock hold is only spot on at one distance and for one size target at that distance. You will hit high or low at any other distance. I don't understand how that setup would work in the hunting field. But, I've never tried it, maybe there's something about it I'm figuring wrong....

Spence

I prefer to have my rifles sighted to hold dead center on my target. I take a 6 o'clock sight picture and then move the front sight up to the center of my target and squeeze off my shot.

Now, this is just my take on it so take it for what it is worth. If you set your sights for a 6 o'clock hold on a 4 inch bulls eye so that your POI is dead center , your shot will actually strike 2 inches above where you are holding. If it is a 6 inch bulls eye, your POI will be 3 inches above where you're holding. If you take that rifle to the woods and shoot at a squirrel's head, you stand a good chance of shooting over the squirrel. That's why I prefer to sight in my rifle to hit exactly where I am holding. But, that's just me and others like to do it differently.

Well, I guess if you are dealing with really big dangerous squirrels like we have in Texas, since you have only one shot, you could use a larger caliber, shoot him and then fix your bayonet and charge. :rotf:

Back