• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Aging fake ivory grips ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eutycus, I heard the same thing. I think there was an article about Duke’s revolver(s). The Bisley frame comes to mind. The reason for that was because Duke had such large hands. :dunno:

No, perhaps something to do with his younger years (SWAG) maybe boxing. Or would not have something to do with a dog now would it.

Yes, and a good one 😁

Tried the leather dye and soaking in tea. Nothing worked.

Will prob either make a set out of nice wood, or order a set of fake aged ivory.
What leather dye? Water based probably not, did you try Friebring's leather dye? It may work.

The problem with plastic faux Ivory is well, it's plastic. It's not going to change much if at all over time except maybe crack.

Nice grips, especially those made of exotic woods or horn cost money. Personally, I feel that the Ivory ban is silly and does nothing to stop poaching. I understand no longer importing it, but if it is already here, it should be allowed to be used and sold. If correct, I believe grip makers can sell it within State only. The real thing is not cheap.

As to aged faux Ivory, you can probably find something suitable on evilBay.

The problem with plastic faux Ivory is well, it's plastic. It's not going to change much if at all over time except maybe crack.

Nice grips, especially those made of exotic woods or horn cost money. Personally, I feel that the Ivory ban is silly and does nothing to stop poaching. I understand no longer importing it, but if it is already here, it should be allowed to be used and sold. If correct, I believe grip makers can sell it within State only. The real thing is not cheap.

As to aged faux Ivory, you can probably find something suitable on evilBay.
I believe that Ivory brought into the States before a certain time is legal. I do not remember what year the ban kicked in. For my self, there isn't a pair of grips on the planet worth hundreds of dollars. My ego isn't that big! (LOL) I have several Rugers, original three screws, and they all wear original correct grips. Also my Smiths are all original numbered stocks. Works for me.

Attachments

• DSC05094.JPG
    DSC05094.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
  • S&W Model 10a.jpg
    S&W Model 10a.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 0
  • S&W Model 1905 4th chg 2.jpg
    S&W Model 1905 4th chg 2.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 0
  • Single Sixes.jpg
    Single Sixes.jpg