• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Aging fake ivory grips ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You fellas got me to thinking, been wanting a set of ivory grips for the 1911, very hard to find now of days, so up and buy a set of N.C. Ord. fakers will let ya know how I like them when they get here. As to aging them probally not just let them take there own course.

You fellas got me to thinking, been wanting a set of ivory grips for the 1911, very hard to find now of days, so up and buy a set of N.C. Ord. fakers will let ya know how I like them when they get here. As to aging them probally not just let them take there own course
About the only way to get ivory grips these days is to buy a handgun that already has them.

What ever works for you is what matters, not what works for me. : )If you are happy with the grips than that is what matters. I am not a person that see's enhanced value in certain things ie, I think the grips are a great idea, but not at $400 dollars. It's a value I do not like. I would not pay an exorbitant sum for a firearm either. Just personal preference. A Glock 19 will do everything I need it to do.(sights perhaps) I would never spend money on a "custom" firearm that offers nothing but possible aesthetics. I realize a set of grips can enhance performance, but that can be accomplished for a lot less than $400. As far as multiple firearms that is a whole other can of worms. I am wondering why i have firearms that are safe queens or have never been fired? I obviously thought i needed it then. Now I realize i never needed it, I just wanted it. I'm changing that aspect of my shooting and my life as we speak. If it does not get shot regularly , it goes. That means 90% will probably go.
But how do you know? I could show you distinct differences and advantages of grips that may have been $200 or more and those that cost a lot less. If you could accomplish the same thing for less, wouldn't people do that instead? I have grips that cost $1000 or more. They all offer something factory or cheap aftermarket grips do not. If they didn't, I wouldn't have them.

I have custom guns that offer a lot more than just aesthetics. I didn't have them built just for looks. Have you ever felt a professionally tuned revolver action?

But how do you know? I could show you distinct differences and advantages of grips that may have been $200 or more and those that cost a lot less. If you could accomplish the same thing for less, wouldn't people do that instead? I have grips that cost $1000 or more. They all offer something factory or cheap aftermarket grips do not. If they didn't, I wouldn't have them.

I have custom guns that offer a lot more than just aesthetics. I didn't have them built just for looks. Have you ever felt a professionally tuned revolver action?
I am glad it works for you . Life is short to not do what you think is best. Yes, I have had a professionally tuned revolver & 1911.

Wizard 1962,
Have you given any thought to American Holly grips ? It’s beautiful white-ish wood, and mellows with age. Very close in coloring for ivory. :cool:

Recieved the fake ivory grips for the 1911, put them on and showed them to my buddy (he is a federal agent) first thing he ask me is where did you get ivory grips from, told him the local elephant. Actually had to show him they were fake, he said he would hate like He!! to have to arrest me. Told him not while I had my fancy pimped up 45 in my hand, we had a good laugh. As to the aging I will let them go on there own and see how it comes along.

I've got a Uberti 51 Navy London with fake ivory from Bar S Grips in Washington state that look pretty good to me. They can be ordered with various degrees of aging (yellowing) and also have growth rings. Don't know what the material is but Bar S calls it "Tru Ivory" fitting them to your pistol is included in the price. They look better in person than my photo.
20221016_131642.jpg

I've got a Uberti 51 Navy London with fake ivory from Bar S Grips in Washington state that look pretty good to me. They can be ordered with various degrees of aging (yellowing) and also have growth rings. Don't know what the material is but Bar S calls it "Tru Ivory" fitting them to your pistol is included in the price. They look better in person than my photo.
View attachment 175462
Very nice! Just want to say, I prefer the term, replica. "Fake" implies intention to fool or cheat. Vetry nice photo of a great little collection: I'll keep 'Bar S' in my mind should I need a set. Thanks. The replica grips that now have the 'rings' are a big step from the older resin ones. Good luck!

Very nice! Just want to say, I prefer the term, replica. "Fake" implies intention to fool or cheat. Vetry nice photo of a great little collection: I'll keep 'Bar S' in my mind should I need a set. Thanks. The replica grips that now have the 'rings' are a big step from the older resin ones. Good luck!
Thanks, They are nice imo. In GYJ's above post I guess they are no longer in business :-(
I ordered the grips a few years ago. It was a small husband and wife operation.

I wrote an article about this, click here: Ivory

I've got just about every substitute available and several sets of the real thing. Clockwise from top left, Arizona Custom Grips' Magnatusk is just an ivory colored polymer with "aging" painted on. Next is antique linear paper micarta. IMHO, no one will mistake micarta for the real thing and nothing about it changes with age. TruIvory was the closest (center on the gun). It had a visible grain and was available in several levels of aging. At the far right is the real thing by Paul Persinger. Eagle's UltraIvory is similar to TruIvory but the "grain" is more subtle. At bottom left is American holly. It looks very much like ivory and it does yellow with age, rather rapidly.

ResinIvory is new and it has one thing none of the others have, Schreger lines. However, you get those at the expense of the grain appearance. I've got a custom gun in the works with ResinIvory but it's not yet in hand.

IMG_0274b.jpg

Left to right, micarta, ivory and TruIvory.

IMG_7334b.jpg

Ended up having the engraved gun fitted with real ivory and put its TruIvory on another gun (right).

IMG_0329.JPG

The demand for ivory in the Middle East and ASIA is such that all wild elephants would disappear in a short time if there were no protections. As it is, the countries where elephants live are generally very poor, corrupt to the core, and the poachers are murderous to humans as well.
Poachers will shoot a human in an instant.

I wrote an article about this, click here: Ivory

I've got just about every substitute available and several sets of the real thing. Clockwise from top left, Arizona Custom Grips' Magnatusk is just an ivory colored polymer with "aging" painted on. Next is antique linear paper micarta. IMHO, no one will mistake micarta for the real thing and nothing about it changes with age. TruIvory was the closest (center on the gun). It had a visible grain and was available in several levels of aging. At the far right is the real thing by Paul Persinger. Eagle's UltraIvory is similar to TruIvory but the "grain" is more subtle. At bottom left is American holly. It looks very much like ivory and it does yellow with age, rather rapidly.

ResinIvory is new and it has one thing none of the others have, Schreger lines. However, you get those at the expense of the grain appearance. I've got a custom gun in the works with ResinIvory but it's not yet in hand.

IMG_0274b.jpg

Left to right, micarta, ivory and TruIvory.

IMG_7334b.jpg

Ended up having the engraved gun fitted with real ivory and put its TruIvory on another gun (right).

IMG_0329.JPG
I bet the Mammoth tusks are interesting! And, there's no harm to living modern animals!

Back