• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging fake ivory grips ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet the Mammoth tusks are interesting! And, there's no harm to living modern animals!
Who said any thing about mammoth? There's no harm to elephants for ivory grips either. They've been dead for 30yrs, or at least they were prior to the idiotic 2016 interstate ban.

Depends on what kind of "fake stag" material is used. I have made items with several faux ivory materials. Some take aging some don't. I like micarta because it is naturally kinda patinaed. I won't work with real ivory (elephant or walrus) because it is so brittle it is guaranteed to shatter into a jillion pieces just about when your project is finished. I don't like mastodon ivory either because it is fossilized and is basically rock, not great for tools. I just bought a set of grips for one of my revolvers (grips would fit a ROA for legality here). I don't know what kind of material they are but they look like aged and patinaed bone, very attractive to my eye. (expensive, if I didn't like them I wouldn't have bought them.

I have had to tint ivory and celluloid plastic piano keys to match old yellowed key tops. Alcohol based analine dyes worked well, though be sure to use the lightest dillution possible first and work up to your needed tint.
You could also try a strong coffee or tea solution if you want safe and organic.

I have had to tint ivory and celluloid plastic piano keys to match old yellowed key tops. Alcohol based analine dyes worked well, though be sure to use the lightest dillution possible first and work up to your needed tint.
You could also try a strong coffee or tea solution if you want safe and organic.
Thank you very much for the information

Back