• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Agind brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevew

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just purchased a brass pan primer and want to quickly age it, What can I use to accomplish this? I want it to look like iron and not brass.

Put it in a Tupperware container with a wad of paper soaked in vinegar. Don't let the brass touch the paper or liquid. It will develop a patina in about an hour.

Be sure that it is clean first!

Go shoot your gun, then clean the bore,,
Take the first wet cleaning patch and rub it all around your new brass primer,,
,, then wait a couple days.
It's free. Plus, you get to shoot the gun.
If ya don't like it, use fine steel wool on your new brass primer to make it look new again.
If ya like it, shoot the gun again, and repeat.
It's that simple.

Last edited:
Just using it a shooting session or two will age it quick. No forced patina will look as authentic as the real thing.

@necchi is spot on here. Sulphur tarnishes copper and brass very quickly, and with greater exposure can even turn copper and brass black. There is a lot of sulphur in black powder and in black powder fouling.

All you need to do is take your new pan primer with you on your next trip to the range. There might be a coat of clear lacquer on the brass, applied by the manufacturer to keep it shiny. You could wipe the brass with a rag dipped in acetone or lacquer thinner, or you could buff it with very fine steel wool. It may be best to do all of that before you fill it with powder. At the range, every time you wipe your bore, use that black, nasty patch to wipe over your brass pan primer. If you don't clean the brass after your range session, you'll likely have an appreciable amount of tarnish by the following day.

You might even take some "before and after" pictures to show us.

Notchy Bob

sprinkle some powder around it and ignite. The heat fumes and residue will make short work. I will then steel wool so the lines stay dark.

I would just leave it in the sun as the metal gets hot it will naturally tarnish. But…. Jewelers will often soak copper and brass in salt water to get it to build a patina, this is done for decorative items like clocks and candle sticks.

just rub it with a dirty fouled patch after cleaning and it will age rite before your eyes. I GAURANTEE IT! the BP, resedue reacts with the brass and it will age it for free!!

This works great!!!
B3B41079-4565-4BB3-B0A4-D8BBC7127319.jpeg

I just purchased a brass pan primer and want to quickly age it, What can I use to accomplish this? I want it to look like iron and not brass.
Most any of the cold bluing solutions turn brass black almost instantly. Once black you can gently back it off, or lighten it in places with 0000 steel wool so it looks natural. If you want it to look like iron, you can make it black, but it will show the brass as the color wears off.

Last edited:
Yeah, I decided to try some Birchwood Super Blue on brass a couple years back. Boy howdy! Instant black (with some mottling because I didn't degrease it throughly).

Back