• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Age of Firearms chess sets (Sulieman the Magnificent).

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With so many 'theme' chess sets coming from Turkey these days, not surprising there are a half dozen or so featuring Suleiman, his Polish wife the ex Christian Harem girl Hurrem Sultan ("Beloved of the Sultan). vs. Nikola IV Zrinski the Hapsburg leader of the Hungarian and Croatian defenders of the castle at Szigeth.

Suleiman and his wife Hurrem Sultan
iu

Suleiman was not named 'The Magnificent' by his own people they called him "lawgiver" because like Napoleon he recoded the legal system to bring it forward into a more modern system. He was also a scientist astronomer. His enemies, the Europeans dubbed him The Magnificent out of fear and respect. His wife (the former Roxelana) was a captured Christian who was going to commit suicide but instead seduced Suleiman as he was passing by the harem where she was kept. She became his chief advisor and actually sat in on councils (behind a screened window because she was female). Some Ottomans thought she was a witch to have entrapped the most powerful Sultan in history. Women weren't supposed to be active in politics.

The Seige of Szigeth was well fought by Zrinski's very small forces and some historians say it saved Europe from a complete Islamic takeover.

Nikola Zrinski
iu

Early "The Chessman" set from 20 years ago or so, about $100, notice there are no firearms! The large white hat with red stripe down the center is of course Sulieman. Ottoman castle has a mineret to call people to prayer.
iu

One of maybe 3 or 5 sets featureing Suleiman made in Turkey which are popular on Etsy. The sixteen Pawns all have firelocks!
The ones on the light colored bases are the Croats / Hungarians (Christians). Dark bases are the Ottomans (Moslems). About $250. Note Zrinski's true to period hair (and his Bishop's). The other guy with a white turban, not Sulieman, is a Janissary.
7167617b1dd5241a9e5fa8549bc600fe.jpg

Many old movies (Richard III) fail to show guns in famous battles (Bosworth)!!

Last edited:
I don't know so much about Suleiman Magnificent, but I heard that he was incredibly good at chess.

I don't know so much about Suleiman Magnificent, but I heard that he was incredibly good at chess.
It isn't surprising as all the intelligent people are good at chess.
I'd say it is an intelligent game that helps to develop the brain.
My parents always wanted me to learn how to play chess, but I had no time.
Finally, during the lockdown, I had a lot of free time, so I decided to study chess.
Luckily, I came across a site where I could learn online chess.
Then, I signed up, and in only three weeks, I started playing chess at a pretty good level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back