• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Age hardening lead ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a supply of swaged lead balls that are about 15 years old , they don't have any oxidizing but they are now hard to load and I have had to go to a thinner patch than I used when I purchased them .
I have measured them and they are still .535 , so the only thing I can think of is they have age hardened , making them harder to load . Any ideas or thoughts ?

Yes age hardening happens with lead alloy. Pure lead does not age harden.
I have read that you can soften them back up by putting them in the oven and baking them. The exact heat and time I can't remember.

Yes age hardening happens with lead alloy. Pure lead does not age harden.
I have read that you can soften them back up by putting them in the oven and baking them. The exact heat and time I can't remember.
try 350* that seems to be the only temp used in our house! :ghostly:
only age hardening i have ever encountered is with alloyed lead.

Even alloyed lead will begin losing hardness after a few years. But very slowly.
If your balls are swaged as you say, they are pretty much pure lead, and have not hardened. Something else changed, patch maybe?

It's probably a misconception based on wheel weights. If you melt and cast with wheel weights they will gradually slightly harden ov about two weeks. Usually settles at right around 12 BHN.

I have a supply of swaged lead balls that are about 15 years old , they don't have any oxidizing but they are now hard to load and I have had to go to a thinner patch than I used when I purchased them .
I have measured them and they are still .535 , so the only thing I can think of is they have age hardened , making them harder to load . Any ideas or thoughts ?

IIRC, even pure lead can age harden some.
Curiously, it seems to go through some kind of cycle, any one of them being measured in months or years. They can start out softer, get a little harder, then slowly soften again.
Water quenching the hot balls/bullets right out of the mold instantly hardens them a little, but I think even those will soften over time.
The guys over at the cast bullet forums can give more specific info.
The Lyman Cast Bullet Loading Manual addresses this issue as well.

As said before, pure lead does not harden. It tests at 5 BHN and will do so forever if not alloyed. Search the web, the evidence is readily availalble.

Back