• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aftermarket CVA MR brass fore-end?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben K

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?

My rifle is an old CVA Mountain Rifle, .54", that I got this year. I love it! But, it would look even better if I could get rid of the plastic fore-end.

Thanks, and kind regards,

Ben

They have a plastic fore-end? I'm not saying yours doesn't but my 50 caliber percussion sure doesn't! Greg :confused:

I have had good success getting stuff from Deer Creek for my handful of CVA guns. It is my understanding this outfit bought all the old parts inventory when CVA quit making sidelock/flinglock guns. Not sure if they ship overseas, but definitely worth the phone call or email. I have received email replies from them within hours in the past.
http://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The mountain rifles sold in the US had two barrel keys and nearly all the non- iron furniture was a white metal to mimic German Silver. I know some models were given different names for sale elsewhere and in a few cases, models were available over seas that were not even sold in the US.

I was about to say that I never saw one with a plastic nose cap, and then remembered that I had a CVA gun with a plastic-like nose cap that looked a bit like horn or ebony. Not sure what model but it had only one barrel key and it also has a pistol grip stock. Perhaps the Sharp shooter. I just checked it. Not sure what it is, but most likely plastic of some sort.

I don't think it's plastic Ben. I think it is German Silver or a similar metal. Have a look. On YouTube how to pour German Silver and DYI maybe? Or stop looking at it!!

with some of the pot metal CVA used for those nose caps it might as well be plastic. if you want a brass nose cap for your Mountain Rifle the cap from a CVA Frontier Carbine looks like it would work with little or no modification.

Mine appears to be German silver. I reamed out the rr hole slightly to accept a slightly larger diameter rr and all of the shavings look like silver to me.

Mooman76 said:
The CVA Frontier carbine was considerably smaller and wouldn't fit. The shape is the same, just smaller.

nothin' a few strokes with a good rasp/file wouldn't take care of. with a little care the stock wouldn't even need refinishin'.

Mate, you are absolutely right! I jumped to the wrong conclusion. On closer inspection it is indeed metallic. Big learning curve! When I get back home I have a story to share involving changing locks, sighting-in, learning to cast roundballs and a long shot on a feral that still has me grinning! Thanks, guys! And thanks for your patience with newbies like myself!

On my Mountain Rifle, the nose cap was some sort of pewter-ish thing. I didn't care for the shape of it. I was able to re-cast the nose cap using printer's type. The cap was reshaped too. I think it turned out pretty well since I didn't know what I was doing. I poured it right onto the stock and it has been there since 1980. It hasn't moved a bit and is nice and tight. :hmm:

The Frontier brass nose cap should work. The Frontier is the same stock profile as the Mt. Rifle, with 4" of stock and barrel whacked off the end. Plus all brass bling vs. steel, GS, and pewter nose cap. The 4" reduction takes away a wedge. Here is a pic of a MR and Frontier together to show the similarity.

CVAFrontiervs_Mt_Rifle_zps4ac0be14.jpg

I would like to post a photo. But I have to admit that sort of thing is beyond me. I can't even program the VCR... :rotf:

Back