• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

African trade gun lock (help)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch97

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well I pulled out the African trade gun that I bought a few years back and got to work on cleaning it up. After an hour of scrubbing the barrel and thoroughly angering the wife by coating the tub in rust residue and burnt powder - I got around to the lock.

Now this lock has always needed work, but I'm finally convinced that I need help. The cock is wobbly and has about 1/10 to 1/8th inch of play side to side. The frizen may need to be case hardened, but certainly needs resurfaced before significant use. The lock springs seem poorly made and like to eat flints - those will likely need honing.
IMG_20220210_211041195.jpg

IMG_20220210_211030938.jpg

IMG_20220210_211022004.jpg
IMG_20220210_211101589.jpg

I'm honestly thinking selling the whole thing to someone for pennies on the dollar as a kit/restoration gun.

You did a good job cleaning the lock up, but making it into a reliable shooter might get pretty involved. Considering these were pretty cheaply made to start with, I think you'll be working with the proverbial sow's ear. In my opinion, it would make an excellent wall hanger. I'm not being sarcastic. Old guns can look good on the wall, and a real African trade gun would be very interesting.

The man you want to talk to is @Rudyard . He frequents this forum, and he knows more about unusual international guns than anyone else I can think of. He is a trove of information, and will give you an honest and well considered opinion.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

These African flinters were sold around 1970 , in dept. stores. I wanted one in the worst way , but couldn't afford the $129 price tag. Restorable original Pa. longrifles, were $200 to $300. Couldn't afford those either. Guess that's one reason I decided to start scratch building one.

These African flinters were sold around 1970 , in dept. stores. I wanted one in the worst way , but couldn't afford the $129 price tag. Restorable original Pa. longrifles, were $200 to $300. Couldn't afford those either. Guess that's one reason I decided to start scratch building one.

Well if you ever want to relive the past I'll send this one to you for about the same. I've already cleaned it up a lot but it's got plenty of work to do. My goal is to get it to some sort of shape, either working or for sale. Haven't decided how far I want to get in the weeds with it though.

Thanks for the offer Mitch ,but I currently have near 100+ precarved stocks in inventory. Some would call me a parts collector. I am a hobby m/l gun builder , and don't have any guns in a collection . Again , thanks for the offer. ............Oldwood

Well if you ever want to relive the past I'll send this one to you for about the same. I've already cleaned it up a lot but it's got plenty of work to do. My goal is to get it to some sort of shape, either working or for sale. Haven't decided how far I want to get in the weeds with it though.
I would be interested in a project gun if it is still available…

Back